Art: 1920s lady in sepia

April 17, 2017




Hi, everyone!

I hope life's been treating you all well! It's been a while since you've all heard from me, and since I recently finished a new painting, I decided to share it with you.

I started with this painting back in 2016 with a lot of enthusiasm, but it took me a long time to finally finish it. Those of you who read my blog regularly know that I struggle with Bipolar disorder type II and that means that my moods fluctuate between bouts of severe depression, hypomania, and a few weeks where I feel "normal" when I am not depressed and hypomanic.

When I am hypomanic, I am ridiculously creative and the creativity flows continuously (I get only 3 hours of sleep throughout the week because I keep creating and creating and creating till the wee morning hours). It's usually in this hypomanic episode that I take on new projects (or pick up new hobbies like learning how to play an instrument, etc) and this painting was one of those projects. Whilst painting this I was also writing a poem at the same time; I was all over the place and driving people insane with my continuous, quickly swerving babble and noisy presence.

Hypomania usually lasts 4-7 days and after that, you really crash - hard! It feels like speeding in a car and crashing into a cement wall. In my case, after hypomania comes depression that lasts several months and in these months I have a very hard time functioning, and my creativity is nowhere to be found. In this period I very rarely paint and my projects are catching dust. As was this painting for many months.

Not long ago I entered another hypomanic episode and I was finally able to finish this 1920s lady in sepia tones. It didn't really become what I'd hoped and expected but I am not entirely dissatisfied.

I have also been doing smaller projects on the side, and I have also started combining watercolor painting with hand lettering; I am totally addicted to it actually. I am a big fan of beautiful quotes, so combining these three things is an absolute pleasure for me and works very relaxing.

Ordinary life does not interest me — Anais Nin

What I fear most, I think, is the death of imagination. — Sylvia Plath


You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images