Elaborating on my previous post

October 17, 2016



Hi all, it's me again!

In my previous post, I told you all that I experienced a change in the way I dress. Not everyone liked it as much as I do and it even made me lose a few followers here on my blog. No hard feelings, of course; I honestly understand that, if you are solely interested in vintage style blogs, you'd lose interest in mine since I wrote in my previous post that from now on there will also be outfit photos of me in the boho style next to vintage ones.

To be honest: I have never been a person who can dedicate herself day in and day out to one style only. Either that be clothing, music, interior decoration, whatsoever. I actually have been bullied for a little while -many years ago- because in my teen years I liked to listen to metal ánd punk. A no go for some people it appears...

But, such as it is, I am a highly individualistic person with a wide spectrum of interests, likes, and passions; I don't mind being a square peg in a round hole. Even though my individualism feels lonely at times, because I have never truly felt "at home" within a certain group of people or style. But I value my individualism enormously, so the feeling of "alienation" that is popping up at times is something I have come to accept over the years.

However... to come back to the vintage style: I haven't worn authentic vintage clothing for more than a year, and it felt unbelievably liberating to me. I had absolutely no idea that in the past years I have felt so caged whilst conforming to the vintage style -which I have done for more than 10 years, mind you. A pretty long time for someone who usually darts from one passion to the other. But I recently felt that, whilst wearing vintage, there was a certain escapism present that I didn't recognize as such at the time. I was escaping something of which I am still not sure what it was exactly.

I have had a hard time shedding my vintage look the past year, and it happened gradually. It felt as if I betrayed someone if I stopped dressing vintage 24/7. Which is perfectly ridiculous, of course.

But then I realized that I am 29 now, I am still very young and I should live life to the fullest in whatever way feels good to me. And that wasn't going to happen if I kept conforming and pushing myself into a style 24/7, which, in my heart, did not feel good anymore. Not like it used to, anyway.

I truly loved the vintage style and I still do - hence I have been living it for more than 10 years. I am not saying that I will never go back to wearing it, cause with me... you just never know.

Like I said in my previous post: I am still open to reviewing and modeling vintage style brands. And I even have very lovely collaborations coming up in the vintage area. And of course, not entirely unimportant, the vintage products that I will review will at all times be accompanied by photos of me and the products in vintage style.

Anyway: I felt the need to elaborate more on my previous post since I got a lot of questions about it, and it actually felt relieving writing this off my chest.





You Might Also Like

11 Comments

  1. Good for you. You are growing, emerging. Who wants to live a stagnant life. Explore and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my dear Lindsay.
    Well, well, what to say after such a long & silent time? WELCOME BACK, you have been missed. I am so glad to "see" you here, and to see that you are doing well.
    I do not fall into the category of people who come here simply for the vintage fashion posts; and that's why I must say I am happy that you have found your new path in life.
    I can't wait to see more. :)
    (loved the paintings you have posted on Instagram! keep doing that!)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my dear friend. Your comment means a lot to me!

      Delete
  4. People are really biased! Vintage style isn't easy to pull on as in the past - for obvious reasons, and not everyone has Dita's budget and wardrobe. I started my story with alternative fashion when I was 11, with Japanese street fashion. Then I found myself interested in vintage fashion at 16. I wear them both. It just depends on my mood! Wear whatever makes you happy! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much AmyH, for your comment. I started with alternative fashion at the age of 12; but it was gothic for me.

      I felt that the vintage style started to cage me in the end. Especially authentic vintage clothing. I was so afraid I would ruin the clothing that I barely moved through the day. Plus, it needs a lot of maintenance and I did not have that dedication at that time. So then I started to wear reproduction clothing and fashioned myself after Dita von Teese. But I noticed that vintage did not feel like it used to feel. I was tired of it.

      Who knows if it comes back.

      Delete
  5. Dear Lindsay, how glad I am that you are back - be it vintage or not! :-) I enjoy reading your blog as a whole, not only the vintage aspects of it.

    You have however made me very curious about your boho style now and I do hope there will be an outfit post or pictures soon!!

    Btw. I can very much relate to not sticking 100% to one style only. I myself also enjoy mixing and drifting between different styles and it would indeed make me feel rather caged if I had to stick to one exclusively...

    I'm looking forward to reading and seeing more of you! :-)

    Lots of Love,
    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabby,

      Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I appreciate it ever so much.

      Delete
  6. Hello, although i'm still really into retro/pinup style, I really understand you. Sometimes, life is just about listening to our inner voice. I sometimes really want a modern piece of clothing, and it fits very well with the rest because it looks like me: a unique person !
    Be yourself !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. You are so right. I was myself aswell when wearing the vintage style, I really loved it, but I somehow outgrew it. Wearing it now would not feel like me anymore, and I hate to be unauthentic. So there.

      Delete
  7. I hope you will still continue to do the vintage look from time to time--it fits you so well and you've been one of my biggest vintage-style inspirations! I do understand what you mean by wanting to dress differently from time to time, though; while '30s & '40s are my favorite era, do I dress/style that way everyday? No, for my budget, it's impossible! But I hope you aren't leaving that behind entirely! Still, you are such a fashionista, I'm looking forward to what you come up with in future posts.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images