Not your granny's rain bonnet!

July 04, 2016


The Dutch summer, to my sadness, started a bit rainy. Well, a bit... quite a bit actually. We experienced storms, hail and thunder these past weeks.

I am longing desperately for the sun and languid evenings in the garden with a book, ice cream, city trips in my own country, strawberries, Daiquiri's and Al Fresco dinners. You get it. But it's not to be... not yet anyway.

Rain has never been my friend and, if you are a vintage girl like me, you'll understand! Having your hair neatly coiffed in a retro style, the wind and rain will destroy it as soon as you set a dainty foot outside.

Often I have arrived at my destination having a head full of hair a la 1980s Tina Turner. Not that much of a problem when you are just going to do groceries or walk the dog, but often I have done photoshoots where my hair had to be done before arriving at the location; just when the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute sends out a warning that heavy weather is on its way. Just like two weeks ago: I had a photo shoot in a province 3 hours away from mine, and I had to go by train. Heavy weather was predicted, but this time, I was prepared!

Recently I found out about a company called The Bonnit who sells cutely bonnets with different patterns (peacock feathers, stars or leopard print). The one I am wearing is called The Sylvie and has a leopard print.

The rain bonnet is making its comeback it seems; it was a popular item to wear in bygone days to protect a woman's hair. These days you only saw little grandma's wearing rain bonnets, but not anymore!




You Might Also Like

8 Comments

  1. Aww this bonnet is really adorable! You look great on it! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much!! ❤

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much!! ❤

      Delete
  2. That doesn't look like a grandma bonnet at all. It is sophisticated, Lindsay and you look beautiful with it. I'll go and have a peek at it myself. I live in Belgium and ride my bike every day. It's indeed hard on a vintage girl to arrive decently with all this bad weather, even if it's just a trip to the supermarket ;-). Thank you for this wonderful idea!
    Inez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay Lane06 July, 2016

      Oh you will not regret it, Inez, these are marvelous. If you order one with a print, you'll get one without a print for free. How lovely is that?

      These indeed don't look like the granny bonnets at all, I am in love with these!

      Delete
  3. So lovely - equal parts cute and glamorous. As though one could just as easily see Marilyn or Audrey sporting it, this practical - yet stylish - accessory instantly adapting to either of their styles with ease. It sings on you, dear Lindsay, and would be welcome around these parts lately, too, as we've had an exceeding damp past couple (almost three now) of months.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right; these felt so Marilyn and Audrey-like to me. The bonnits are super cute!

      Delete
    2. You're absolutely right; these felt so Marilyn and Audrey-like to me. The bonnits are super cute!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images