Recap of my week #47

November 22, 2015

This week has mostly been all about food, cooking, food, cooking, eating, cooking, food, food styling and food photography. I am still following lots of courses and reading books on the subject and pinning inspiration galore on my Pinterest board - all to qualify myself.

Last week I was reading the first posts of my food blog back, and I noticed how quickly I grew in making food photos, styling and writing the recipes. It all started with nostalgic cookbooks and a point and shoot camera, which I quickly exchanged for a DSLR, and my own knowledge about food.

Food photography and styling are not easy, but that's what I like about it. I like a challenge and all of it made me become a better photographer in general.

Can you imagine? Being in the kitchen to invent recipes (or make the favorites from your cookbooks), cook it and at the same time set-up the tripod and mini studio, making sure that the cats don't jump on the stove, style the food on a plate and take a photo of the food from every angle, trying to hold back my two curious cats, while my beloved Ben waits starvingly for his plate of food. It all has to be done in a short timespan, to ensure that the food doesn't get cold. You are a writer, a photographer, a cook and a food stylist all in one. It takes time and dedication.

I had difficulties with all that when I just started the blog, but now, a year later, I can say I tackled most of it. I am proud of myself. My food blog is no longer what it was when I started it: it became a vegetarian, and mostly plantbased, recipe blog, and it got better photos and an improved writing style, and I hardly cook food from nostalgic cookbooks anymore. I do want to bring the latter back, but give a modern twist to it.

I can honestly say I grew as a food writer ánd photographer and I absolutely love it, but I am not, by far, where I want to be.

Do you already follow my food blog Dash of Nostalgia? I'd love to see you there and hear what you think of it.

Now, without further ado!

A delicious vegan mushroom risotto.

Late in the evening, Ben and I were a little bored. On the spot we decided to make pepernoten/kruidnoten. I also made the speculaas spices myself, these are a very popular spice around this time of the year in my country, and it's usually sold out in the supermarkets. It's very DIY friendly, so I decided to make my own.

And this is what they became. They taste even better than the ones sold at the supermarket.

Two pigeons in love in the backyard. They were taking a break from building a nest.

My 'little' lion <3>

I made some Baharat. I blogged about it, too. It's a delicious Middle-Eastern spice blend, perfect as a meat rub. I don't eat meat, but they taste just as good on meat substitutes. Also perfect for soups and rice dishes.

Time for a fresh 1940s manicure. My favorite.

I made this delicious vegan pesto. With nutritional yeast instead of parmesan cheese. The basil aroma throws me to a warm place in rural Italy.

The above pesto was used on these naanbread pizza's with kale and green asparagus. So good.
Ben hates kale with a passion, but thought these pizza's were really good. On the photo the pizza's were ready to be popped into the oven. The recipe will appear soon on my food blog.

Greek yogurt breakfast with pomegranates. Truly a refreshing breakfast.




You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. Your food photography is, and has always been, deeply elegant and so invitingly delicious. Keep up the fantastic work - I follow both of your sites and always delight in seeing the culinary creations you share with us.

    Many hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images