Project: Adventure Fund Jar | #travellingdutchies

October 30, 2015


For quite a while now I've been dreaming of travelling again. The last time I went to explore a different country has been two years ago. Yes, I 'suffer' wanderlust, I crave adventure. I want to go out there, see the world, meet new cultures, taste different kitchens, wander in countries so different than my own.

But with dreaming alone I won't satisfy my need for travelling. I've always been a person chasing dreams and actively do something for it instead of just let them boil and see where the vessel goes aground. So I decided to start a simple, little project to make my dreams come true.

I collect old postcards sent by people on their travels. This one dates back to 1928 and was sent from Egypt.

The fact is, the past three years have been all about financials, leaving it almost impossible to pursue my wanderlust dreams; we've moved house in a span of one year, we bought a kitten (and all of the expenses and fixed charges that come with that) ... and so forth.

But then the idea struck me: I'm just gonna start a fund jar. Putting in all the change I get from doing groceries, or whatever. And also: when I am on the brink of doing a useless purchase, I will ask myself: do I really need it? If not, the money otherwise spent on a useless purchase, will go into the fund jar. That prevents me from losing money on useless things and in this way the money will be much better spent.

In the past I've travelled to London, Newcastle upon Tyne (twice), Prague, Paris (twice), Montribourg in France, Idar-Oberstein in Germany, Han-Sur-Lesse in Belgium, Dómremy in France, Antwerp, Malta (+ Gozo and Comino), the Ardennes, and Weinähr (twice) in Germany. All of my travels took place in Europe, so I'd love to stray from that path and visit other continents.

Sadly, Malta is too small a country to appear on the bags world map, so I put a pink dot where Malta is located. I've visited this beautiful country in 2011.
 
To help me stay on my goals (which is not difficult at all) and enhance my dreams, I bought this incredibly cute cotton market bag with a world map a while ago. The fun thing about this bag is, you can color in the countries you've already travelled to. 

I also bought two bracelets to help me stay on my goal. I've talked about bracelet problems before: my wrists are too small for most bracelets, but these two are made of aluminum and can be bend around the wrist; in this way they always fit. Even on my wrists.


Cotton bag 'Color your World' ikwilmeerreizen.nl
Bracelets: ikwilmeerreizen.nl

“There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't sit still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and rove the flood,
And they climb the mountain's crest; Their's is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest.”
― Robert W. Service

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

  1. Save up and come visit me in western Canada lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada is véry high on my bucketlist, so who knows soon!

      Delete
  2. The best way is to check hourly or daily error fares on different websites like vakantiepiraten.nl or others. I got return ticket from Venice to Sao Paulo for 184€. And you can get cheap flight also to Canada:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But that poem at the end!!! Oh my goodness that just slayed me.
    This whole article makes me so excited. It's always the finances that hold us back, jobs that tie us down. I really need to start this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if only travelling would be for free! Sigh!

      Delete
  4. Stellar idea! I think I'm going to start saving again (the again being in reference to certain past trips) for a vacay in 2016, if possible. We weren't able to take one this year, in part because of Tony's summer spent working in the States (which was certainly a fun adventure for him), and I miss it dearly. I need travel at the deepest level of my being and can feel the wanderlust building up by the day. Here's the the hope we're both able to explore the world, be it close to home or thousands of miles away, in the not-too-distant future.

    Big hugs & super happy Halloween wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I vote for a trip to Western Canada, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to go to Canada, hopefully, in the near future. I know many people who moved to Canada and all I heard were good things. Plus, my country holds a special place for the Canadians, because they freed us from the Germans in WWII. :-)

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images