Parsnip fries with 1940s homemade mayonnaise

October 19, 2015

  

Although I love to eat healthy and do so most of the time, there are times that I cráve french fries (together with pizza my guilty pleasure), and sometimes I give in, and other times I don't.

The times that I don't want to give in (because I know I get ill of junkfood), I love to find healthier versions of french fries or pizza that I can transform into my two guilty pleasures to satisfy my need for unhealthy junkfood. It's an interesting journey and it learned me a lot about cooking.

Ben and I love to eat homegrown vegetables, and last week Ben pulled out two monstrosities of parsnips (monstrosities not only in size: parsnips home grown don't look so neat as the ones in the supermarket). The parsnip is a root vegetable once categorized as a 'forgotten vegetable' in my country, the Netherlands. It's an old fashioned vegetable and it became scarce. But the parsnip made its return. Luckily so, as it's a very versatile and healthy vegetable.

The old fashioned parsnip combines really well with this homemade mayonnaise that I found in a 1940s cookbook, and became my go to recipe whenever I want to make homemade mayonaise.

You can eat the parsnip raw, steamed, roasted or what have ya, but I cut them into french fries! Let's have a look!

Ready for the oven



Ingrediënts Parsnips serves 2
  • 2 large parsnips
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon paprika powder
  • 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • a dash, or two, of cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of coarse celtic seasalt
  •  
 Preheat the oven at 190C.

Wash and peel the parsnips and cut them into thin 'fries'. Spread them onto a baking tray and add the melted coconut oil, sesame oil, paprika and cayenne pepper and salt. Mix well to coat all the parsnip fries. Add them to the oven and roast for about 25 minutes. When done, preheat the oven to 230C and roast for 10 minutes more. Make sure that the parsnip fries don't burn.

When the parsnip fries are roasting, prepare the home made mayonaise. You can also do this in advance.

Ingrediënts Homemade Mayonnaise
  • two scant cups of corn oil
  • 2 fresh egg yolks
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon himalaya salt
  • 1 garlic clove, minced very fine
  • 1 or 2 dashes cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
  • 1/4 herb salt

Place the dry mustard, Himalaya salt, cayenne pepper, paprika powder and herb salt in a small mixing bowl and add the egg yolks after carefully removing all the egg whites. Stir with a large teaspoon a moment and then start adding the oil a drop at a time, do not increase the flow of oil until egg yolk and oil are well emulsified and even. Then add only a thin stream of oil as you stir.

When all the oil is used up, stir in the lemon juice and garlic. Mix well.

Tip: If your egg-oil mixture separates from adding oil too fast, break another egg yolk in a separate bowl with a bit of salt and dry mustard and add the oil drop by drop until it "takes", then slowly add the "separate mixture" to this.


 http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HQ2VQNu5z8Y/VS4yE1w-aQI/AAAAAAAATz4/Bb8rOaXgZwk/s1600/4.png

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

  1. Thank you very much for this fantastic cold weather recipe. I adore parsnips (so does one my grandmas) and eat them by the bucketful (okay, almost ;D) all fall and winter long. I can't wait to try your delicious version out.

    Big hugs & happy cold weather cooking,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you liked the recipe if you ever try it :-D Parsnips are soooo good.

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! I too, am a lover of junkfood, especially during the winter. Most times I can resist, but if there are equally tasty (and sometimes tastier) options, I'll always go for those. Thanks for the fabulous recipes <3
    ~V

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely delicious! I've been trying different recipes for homemade mayonnaise lately and surely I'll try this one ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images