How I Celebrated the Autumn Equinox

September 23, 2015

IT'S THE AUTUMN EQUINOX!
Today, the 23rd of september, is the autumn equinox and that means that autumn is now truly here. Autumn is the season associated most with death: leaves once beautifully green and full wither, are dying, and let go of their branches. The nights grow darker, colder and longer. The sun is hiding behind dark clouds and its strength is diminishing, shade dominates the street scene and animals hide and nest. 

Yet autumn is also the season of harvest and the understanding of rebirth and resurrection. It's a season to be thankful. A season where we honor the dead and our ancestors. A season of giving and taking. A celebration of life and death.

On the day of the autumn equinox, many Pagans and wiccans celebrate Mabon. It is one of the eight Sabbats. During Mabon it is time to thank the light and respect the imminent dark.

The date that night and day are equal, I give my thanks to the Gods of nature for a good harvest and for the beauty of the world. To celebrate the coming of autumn, I cook and bake sumptuous food with lots of apples, sage, pumpkin and rosemary. I take a relaxing walk in the forests; enjoying the beauty of nature. I burn pine and sage incense at home, lit brown and yellow candles, and I honor the dead by leaving apples at several burial sites (pictured above); a symbolism of rebirth and the wish of the living to be reunited with their loved ones some day.

I also create pretty tablescapes and dine elaborately, feasting on typical autumn dishes, with my significant other. We reflect on what has been fruitful for us, and the things we should be grateful for.

One of the things I love the most about autumn are the beautiful colors and the pumpkins. For this autumn equinox I really wanted to make something with the pumpkins that Ben had seeded this year. I find it enormously satisfying to eat what we, ourselves, have seeded and grown.

Let's have a look at what my autumn equinox looked like.

ENJOYING NATURE
"Take a quiet walk with Mother Nature. It will nurture your mind, body, and soul." ~ A.D. Williams.

THE RECIPES
Roasted Butternut squash with grapes, sage and pinenuts(vegan).
Image source: my food blog Dash of Nostalgia


Ingredients serves 2
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 1 large bunch of grapes
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons melted soy butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse celtic sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon thinly sliced sage
  • handful of toasted pine nuts

Preheat the oven to 425F (218C)

Peel the butternut squash and cut into bite sized pieces.

Add the butternut squash in a large mixing bowl together with the grapes, sage and the red onion and olive oil. Mix well.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle over the melted soy butter. Add to a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 30-40 minutes, or until the butternut squash is soft. Stir ocassionally.

Sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts. Enjoy!

Pear, Blue Cheese and Honey Naanbread pizza
© Image source: my food blog Dash of Nostalgia

Ingrediënts serves 2
  • 2 naanbreads
  • 1 large conference pear, very thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon rosemary,chopped
  • Chunk of blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • coarse celtic seasalt
  • honey for drizzling
Preheat the oven at 425F (218C)

Brush the naanbreads with olive oil and add the thinly sliced pear.

Crumble the blue cheese on top of the pear, add the rosemary, salt and pepper and drizzle with honey.

Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.

TABLESCAPES AND FEASTING
Don't pay attention to the crease in the tablecloth. Our kitten was clawing at it.

Did you celebrate the autumn equinox? I'd love to know!

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

  1. My dear Lindsay,
    This is the most wonderful way to welcome this magnifient season. I have spent my entire day walking, enjoying nature (Brussels has an amazing park next to Atomium).
    Oh, it's autumn. :D

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so soothing, is it not? Although I don't like the rain when I have to go outside, autumn is sure one of the prettiest seasons.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you've decorated the table - beautiful table wear too! Everything you've cooked looks delicious - especially the pumpkin and pine nut dish, will have to try it. I love autumn, its such a beautiful season, I look forward to all of your autumn/winter outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It's really delicious and very autumn-y.

      Delete
  3. Immensely lovely images and ways to welcome in autumn. No season speaks to my soul as deeply, nor do I feel as at home in (another), as autumn. It is like a new year of sorts for me and I love to celebrate it in little and big ways alike as frequently as possible from the very to very last day.

    Many hugs & fall time blessings,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Autumn is truly stunning and is a great 'model' for photos. Always inspiring.

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images