The Beauty of our Street

August 10, 2015

When I came home from doing my grocery shoppings during a summer evening last week, I took a good look at my street, beautifully lit by the setting sun. Really, I have to brag ... Ben and I are blessed with the exterior (and interior aswell) of our home. So much sophistication! I realised that it was pérfect for outfit photos and was puzzled by myself why I never did before.

Our street is very old and named after the gorgeous monasterium (church attached to a monastery) now turned into a library, on the corner of our street. Our house is surrounded by amazing buildings and it fills my heart with joy everytime I see it. I can't get enough of it.

I decided there and then that I would take some outfit snaps the following day. We live in the middle of the city (where every evening to this day, at 22.00, church bells ring to let the people know that the gates of the city are closing - gates long gone by the way). We live particularly close to a cafe, which is closed for two weeks due to the holiday period, and so I could snap photos in our remarkably quiet street without people watching.

When I transferred the photos to my laptop, I noticed that the photos would look much better in black and white. Not a good thing for outfit photos, but I decided to keep them in B&W and post them anyway.
Me on our doorstep. I feel so majestic, still, entering our house through these doors.

Behind me on the photo above you can see the monasterium-turned-library. The monasterium dates back to the 14th century and it housed the Dominican Order, also known as the Dominicans or the Order of the Preachers. 

The church was built in Gothic style and was gifted in 1293 by Margaretha van Dampierre to the monks, who settled in Zutphen a few years before. In 1983 it became a library.

The front of our house is adorned with beautiful pink Hydrangeas, which color beautifully against the painted grey exterior of our house.

O U T F I T     D E T A I L S


You Might Also Like

18 Comments

  1. How wonderful that you live in such a beautiful, sophisticated place. I love that you share some of the history of your street. It always amazes me the history of other countries as America is still so young and Alaska even younger.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I live in one of my country's oldest cities and I just love it so much. I live here for two years now and there's still so much history I was unaware of. It's a pleasure to live here.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful backdrop! Just amazing for outfit pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place, I live in a ugly modern house and the village is not beautiful :( So I try not to take pictures here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware that I am quite lucky. I just absolutely love this place!

      Delete
  4. It really is a grippingly gorgeous street - those cobblestones are like solid poetry under one's feet that whispers of history and countless stories that they've seen.

    And speaking of beautiful things, you are dazzling in this floral print dress!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the streets in my town have these stones. I was an avid heel wearer but I changed it for flats because of the streets. I almost broke my ankles all the time. But the stones are a beautiful sight nonetheless and it really adds to the charm of Zutphen.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos, it looks like you live in a beautiful place! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a charming street! You are making me miss Europe even more! I can still remember what it was like to wander around finding mysterious and magical little side streets and popping into forgotten old churches. Your dress is lovely too, just the sort of print I love, flowers on a dark background <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes Europe has some amazing places and there's still so much to discover. Which I have every intention in doing so!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! What stunning scenery to complement your endlessly gorgeous outfit! The buildings so beautiful, what a lovely place to live. I would adore to be able to live somewhere in the city with scenery like that. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bonita, it's absolutely a pleasure to live here.

      Delete
  8. Isn't Seamstress of Bloomsbury an AMAZING brand? I have one of their blouses, and a dress - and I can't get over how very vintage their designs are, probably the closest a repro brand has come to authentic vintage. This dress is so gorgeous on you, you always look so perfect in a classic 40s cut :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love them SO much! I was really glad when a vintage reproduction webshop started selling a couple of dresses by Seamstress of Bloomsbury, so I bought two immediately.

      Thank you for your kind words <3

      Delete
  9. Wow , what bautiful district you live! Full of flowers and ancient , magnificent buildings around. My district is the exactly opposite of your : too modern , to busy , with no any green space or garden around . It's delightful to see something so beautiful as an old city with a lot of history , monastery and libraries!!!Love your outfit and photos!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images