You Look Disgusting - a video I had to share with you

July 02, 2015

Scroll down for the video.

Dear people, today I came across a video shared by our lovely Idda van Munster and which I, in my turn, wanted -and simply had- to share with you because it shows us in a nutshell what is wrong with the majority of today's society. I was crying at the end of this video, because it's powerful and because it's painful to see what other people can do to eachother.

The subject of this video fragment is not something happening in the dark corners of the world wide web ... no, it happens openly, all around us, everywhere.

Coincidence is that I am in the midst of writing a blog post similar to the subject mentioned in the video. In it I write that behind every person who makes a vile comment on another person's appearance or character is in fact a very, very insecure human being, desperately trying to drag other people down to that level to make themselves feel better. By making a comment on how stupid or ugly someone else is, they are actually saying look at me being so much better and prettier than that person - desperately trying to believe their own words.

Where does this behaviour come from? I think the extremely high standards the media is imposing on us. It makes us insecure and hate our flaws. Because by watching those beautiful and perfect (and photoshopped!) celebrities on the cover of whatever magazine, it feels as if we are the only ones with flaws, and we come to hate ourselves, and as a result we spread that hate by tearing others down to make ourselves feel better. It's a vicious circle that needs to be broken - now!

Watch the video!

We are all beautiful, but please don't make yourself ugly by tearing others down. Love yourself, and others! The world would be so much better if we did!

© My Pale Skin




You Might Also Like

10 Comments

  1. Mighty powerful stuff.
    ...
    Sorry about the first line, I'm usually much more werbal, but this struck the core. The truth is - whatever was posted on that video, I have read, heard and got in my face.. about my face.
    I had many options (insluding treatments like "microdermoabrasion" - technically it's an intervention where beautician peels off upper layer of your face.. ouch!). I could have chosen to cover, to hide, to fight the comments.
    I chose NOT CARING. :)
    ..and, I chose to like myself the way I am. More I liked myself, more my own body reacted (yeah, it's not just that "zen" thing - there's really phisical a reaction to self-love).

    ...
    May I re-share this?!

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sweet dear, you have no idea how much it delights me to read how strong you have been, and are. I am still on the road you have already walked with success and I can only hope to reside one day where you already are: the place of self-love.

      And, ofcourse you can re-share this. It was the request of the (beautiful) lady in the fragment to share and participate in the discussion.

      Delete
  2. That's such a powerful video and really shows the ordeal some people go through. Everybody is beautiful in their own way and each one of us has unique features that we should be proud of. If anything, this video does not make me angry but reinforces that we should see beyond people's physical appearance and to their personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, well said, all of it. You are hitting the nail on the head.

      Delete
  3. Never feed the trolls, live life how it makes sense to you, and you'll have nothing to worry about, kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this video. It is very touching and is a real eye opener. I suffer with acne and do get comments in real life from time to time that are quite hurtful. I am in a good place now and see past my flaws to the person I am, so it doesn't hurt me any more. I find it shocking how people can be so very hurtful and enjoy it. If only they would just think how they would feel were the roles reversed. Every one really is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you had to endure this, it's absolutely horrible. But I am really glad to read you are in a good place now, cause it's what matters the most: how YOU feel about yourself. Keep going the way you go!

      Delete
  5. Tony shared this with me recently and really, really spoke to me as well. Such a powerful, touching, important piece. Everyone on the planet should watch this and we should all be gentler on ourselves and others. Especially since external beauty is only one little part of what truly makes a person beautiful, from heart to soul to face and everything in between.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous22 June, 2016

    Oh dear. That hit me hard!! How heartless are people. We should learn to see the beauty in all. Such hatred and judgement. It's sad and quite sickening. Social media has given birth to some horrible evils

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images