The Glamorous Bun

July 29, 2015


The ballerina bun, or sock bun, is sophisticated, simple and above all glamorous, which is definitely up in my alley. The past couple of months I am trying to give my hair a rest as much as I can, as it got a huge shock going from platina to dark brown and I want to use little to no hairstyling products such as hairspray. Using no hairspray means that I barely wear the glamorous '30s/'40s curls that you're used of me; I have heavy hair and it doesn't quite hold the curls on its own. I'm sure a familiar problem with many of you.

Even though I haven't worn true vintage in ages (more about that in another post), I still want to ooze that yesteryear 'vibe' in my appearance. The ballerina bun reminds me a little of the 1960s and is a hairstyle that is my go-to lately, especially now that my country is ravaged by a very heavy July storm with wind, thunder and rain galore - not to mention falling trees and branches everywhere. I was planning to have adventurous hikes in the forests a lot, this summer, but warnings have been given not to go into the woods, as it's very dangerous for obvious reasons. But better weather is on its way!


This hairstyle is still kind of glamorous when you're soaking wet, which is a win for me, much different than droopy curls that feel so horribly sticky and hard when the hairspray comes into contact with rain. Sounds familiar? Or is it just me because I use almost a whole can!? Alright.

I achieve the ballerina bun hairstyle with a hair donut that I bought at the H&M, and although I started with a small one that I wore in the nape of my neck, I switched to a XL hair donut now that my hair is long enough to be tucked around the donut completely. I also wear it higher on the back of my head, and I just love the volume it gives. For a bit of change, I like to switch between adorning the bun with hairflowers, scarfs or by wearing mini berets. This hairstyle looks amazing with cat eye sunglasses, too!
Hair donut instructions


Do you sometimes wear you hair like this aswell? 

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

  1. I am really self conscious about wearing my hair up (or any way different to what I normally do) because I have quite a large forehead and I worry that updos aren't flattering on me...However, I plan on giving this style a go and if it suits me then I will definitely be doing my hair like this when its summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, darling, as you can see I have quite a large forehead, too, but I think these styles can actually make it look really interesting. It's funny to know that large foreheads were really coveted in the 1940s and 1950s. Ingrid Bergman even shaved off a centimeter of hairline to achieve a larger forehead and, so she thought, look more intelligent.

      I think this hairdo will look absolutely divine on you.

      Delete
  2. Prachtige look! Ook hele mooie make-up draag je <3. Ik oefen nog steeds op een mooie wing haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel, en blijven oefenen hoor want dat loont. Heeft bij mij ook een poos geduurd, maar er zijn heel handige trucjes die je kunt toepassen.

      Delete
  3. I too am a big fan of the glamorous large bun! I have one of those net/foam roll things that I can wrap my hair around to achieve such a large bun. I find once you clip some flowers in it, a big bun can look quite vintage, and it is a quick style perfect for going to work or just getting your hair off of your neck in the summer heat! I hope it cools down soon so you can go on some forest adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, precisely! And flowers give it just a little extra!

      Delete
  4. I wish I had longer hair so I could achieve the sock bun look! Though, if I find the little donut thing, I'll give it a shot.
    The flowers you've styled with it make it like 90 times more precious!

    Carla, TinyAngryCrafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Carla! I think the bun will look fantastic on you!

      Delete
  5. I have worn them for many years, they give such a glamourous hairstyle in just a few minutes and people think that you needed ages to made such a perfect hairstyle. I also love to match them with flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's so easy and glamorous! Perfect for bad hairday's!

      Delete
  6. I must give the flowers a try! Very elegant look, great in the heat to keep cool. You look sublime as always. Your eye liner and brows are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed a really great hairstyle for when the weather is warm. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  7. Stunning! You look so timelessly elegant with your hair pulled back into a bun (and in general, of course). Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you só much! I plan on wearing this hairstyle more often!

      Delete
  8. You know, I must say his: the bun gives your face more delicate look. It strengthens your positive features, gives you a lovely shape.. yeah, wear it more often.
    Two thumbs up.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much sweet friend! I certainly gonna wear it more often. It's so simple and elegant!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images