Frida Kahlo's Zucchini Salad (Ensalada de Calabacín)

July 16, 2015


The surrealist painter Frida Kahlo is a long time inspiration for me; art wise and appearance wise, her colorful and painted autobiographical art, and the colorful braids and flowers that adorned her hair.

When I came across a recipe that was hers, I really wanted to try it. Ben and I had just gathered some home grown zucchini's and this recipe would be the perfect way to try them out.

This recipe was served by Frida, who often hosted festive dinner parties in her home in Mexico City in the 1930s; she named these dinner parties "día de los manteles largos", which means the days of the long tablecloth.

This salad was served at a particular dinner party, which was attended by Mexican composer Carlos Chávez and Nelson Rockefeller.

Frida's zucchini recipe can be found in the book Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of life with Frida Kahlo; a scrapbook assembled by Frida's stepdaughter Guadalupe Rivera.

This recipe was absolutely to die for. It's a perfect summer salad and so unbelievably tasty!


Ingrediënts (serves 6-8)
  • 6 small zucchini's
  • 8 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 ripe avocado's
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 3 oz. crumbled queso añejo or Parmesan 
  • 2 tablespoon cilantro

In a glass jar with a lid, shake 6 tablespoons of olive oil , the salt, sugar and red wine vinegar until emulsified. When done, set aside.

In a large skillet, heat two tablespoons of olive oil and cook the zucchini golden in approx. 12 minutes. Let them cool slightly.

Overlap the zucchini and avocado on a platter and sprinkle with salt and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Garnish witht the crumbled cheese and cilantro


You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. Ooh, I love zucchini! And this recipe looks very simple and easy to make. I'll have to try it out this summer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, this sounds fantastic! I adore zucchini and am so lucky that my folks grow some in their little backyard garden. We always get treated to a few each summer thanks to it. Salads, muffins, and stir-fries are my favourite uses usually for it. It works a treat in pasta dishes including lasagna, too, though.

    Have a joyful, lovely weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really worth a try and I knew it was going to be delicious, but it was even better than I expected. It makes me really curious to the entire recipe book!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images