Dita Von Teese's Spiced Mice Butter Cookies

June 10, 2015


You know, when I came across this cookie recipe of Dita whilst searching for her interior photos, I wanted to make them immediately. I am not a big fan of making cookies, or working with dough and flour altogether, because it gives such a mess. I know, I know, I sound horrible when I say this: but I just cannot stand a kitchen counter top littered with mess. And this comes from someone who loves cooking!!

But I saw the perfect opportunity to make these extremely cute cookies when my beloved boyfriend had a day out with his older brother. They have a strong bond but barely see eachother, due to my brother in law being an international truckdriver and thus being on the road an aweful lot of time, dropping by whenever he has a chance or needs help with his laptop. So, when they asked me to come along to Militracks I refused, with in mind that they could have a nice brotherly day with just the two of them, and told them that when they came home, cute cookies were waiting for them.

Note: In the original recipe, the mouse cookies have tails, but I decided not to give my cookies a tail, but if you do then use dried Chow Mein noodles.

This recipe was given by Dita von Teese for the magazine InStyle.
 Dita in her GORGEOUS kitchen making the batter for the cookies + popping them in the oven.
Click to enlarge
Ingrediënts
  • 2 cups flour 
  • 12 tablespoons butter at room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon 
  • almonds for the ears
  • currants for the eyes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, cream the butter (best to do this with an electric mixer, but by hand is possible) until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add both sugars, beat until combined. Add egg and vanilla, beat until smooth. Add flour, cardamom, allspice and cinnamon; beat until combined. Gather dough into a ball.

Preheat oven to 350F (176C) and measure 1 tablespoon of dough; roll it into a small oval. Repeat with remaining dough, setting ovals about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

In a small bowl, whisk egg with 2 tablespoon water. Brush each oval slightly with egg mixture.

For the eyes, cut one currant in half and roll each piece into a tiny ball and press onto ovals.

For the ears, insert two almond slices at a slight angle.

If you give your mouse cookies a tail, insert the Chow Mein noodles in the mouse's behind ;-)!

Bake 15-20 minutes or until cookies are slightly browned.





You Might Also Like

8 Comments

  1. These cookies look so utterly cute!
    When I find some time after the exams I'll definitly try making these. I would love to try a lot of your recipes but as a student there's not much time left for cooking or baking...

    xx Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you! I've been a student once and hardly cooked up something the way I cook now. Luckily there are a lot of sumptuous recipes that don't take any time at all!

      Delete
  2. Aww they really do look like mice!! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, these are so fabulously cute! My first thought is how great they'd be for Halloween, but my second is, how could anyone wait that long to try them out? :) Thank you for sharing Dita's great recipe with us, honey. Yum!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo cute! I will have to try baking them sometimes, I loved spiced cookies. Also those pictures of Dita's pink kitchen mesmerise me every time I see them, it's seriously gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images