Recipe: 1940s old fashioned rice pudding

March 08, 2015


I have written about this recipe on my food blog already in February, but it gained quite some popularity on Facebook and Pinterest, and I came to know that good ol' rice pudding is a favorite among many of you. I am hesitant towards anything that has a lót of sugar (I am not much of a sweettooth, fortunately) and avoid it as much as possible by substituting it with honey or what have you. However, I made an exception with the rice pudding and I did use the sugar! If you don't want to use it, you can replace the sugar by ½ cup of honey or 1 ¼ agave nectar.

I found this recipe in a 1940s newspaper, and since I had a free day with not much to do I decided to make this sugary, but delicious treat. I stayed true to the recipe, but added a few blueberries and cinnamon. I made a large batch and ate it as dessert, and as lunch the day after

If you like old fashioned (and sometimes modern) recipes, go to my food blog Dash of Nostalgia.

If you like to stay updated on my food photos: follow my Pinterest board My Food Photography

Ingrediënts

  • 1 cup rice
  • 4 cups milk 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ½ teaspoon salt (I used Himalaya salt)
  • a few blueberries or other fresh fruit as topping
  • cinnamon for sprinkling


Wash and cook the rice according the package.

When the rice is cooked, mix it with the sugar, salt and the four cups of milk and place it in a hot oven (425 degrees).

Stir into the pudding frequently the brown crust that forms.

As it thickens pour in ½ cup of milk.

Bake for about 1½ hours and serve hot or cold.



You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. So you just take normal rice? We in Germany have another rice which is actually called rice pudding. The rice grain is smaller and rounder than the usual one - and we cook it with milk to make a sweet dish (just like you decribed above). But it seems you did it with normal cooked rice, didn't you?
    Greetings, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I indeed used normal rice, it was the only one I had in my panty and it works quite well!

      Delete
  2. Yum and yes please!!! :) Rice pudding is one of those classic, hearty, easy to make foods that I could happily live off for the rest of time. No matter the season, I have different varieties I love to make and am really looking forward to those involving fresh seasonal fruits and berries again this spring.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds so yummy... and you vary endlessly with it. That's what makes a rice pudding a classic and much loved dish, I think.

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images