Recipe: Ancient Egyptian Dukkah

January 26, 2015


I've always taken a huge interest in anciënt Egypt, a world so unknown to us and yet not that different from ours altogether! I have dreamed of becoming an archeologist, and my big dream is to someday excavate in the Valley of the Kings. Not too long ago I talked to a friend, who is also very much interested in archeology, and this conversation made my interest light up again as if it was anew. He said to me that every once in a while the archeologists ask for volunteers, so I was all ears.

Dreaming further about diggin' to ancientness, perhaps funny to mention, is that I was hungry for learning and expanding my knowledge about Egypt, so a couple of weeks ago I have decided to follow a study which learns me to read Egyptian hieroglyphs. Perhaps that archeology dream of mine might come true someday, right? ;-)

I know quite a lot about ancient Egypt (the names of the Gods, the Pharaos and Queens and which dynasty they ruled in, and also their habits etc,) but beside learning to read hieroglyphs, I was also eager to learn about another side of this ancient world: their kitchen. I know that there are quite a few books with Egyptian recipes in it, but I wanted a good cookbook that would learn me more about the tastes, smells and cooking skills of the ancient Egyptians. And I found it!

Then suddenly I remembered a recipe I make quite often for some time already, and it's the most delicious ancient Egyptian spice blend I use for almost anything. Those who follow my food blog Dash of Nostalgia might remember my being abnormally ecstatic about the spice blend that I tasted in combination with roasted beets. Let me tell you, after I tasted that for the very first time ... I knew I could die, quite happily. Whenever I cook for friends and family I love to use my Dukkah, and people always want more and even ask me to make them some to take home. The smell and the taste is unlike anything else. Trust me on the fact that you should try it, and thank me later ;-)

The Egyptians ate it with their typical bread (which ruined their teeth), dipped it in olive oil and then in the Dukkah. But you can use this spice blend aswell on vegetables ( the beets .. oh!), salads, fish, meat and so forth.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup nut blend (mine was pistachios, almonds and walnuts)
  • 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 3 teaspoons coriander seeds
  • ½ teaspoons dried mint
  • 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
  • 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon salt

Heat a frying pan and toast the nut blend for 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool. Add the sesame seeds to the frying pan and toast these for 5 minutes aswell until golden. Be careful not to burn them and when done remove them from the heat.

Add the rest of the spices and toast these for 2 minutes. Make sure not to burn it.

Pound the nut blend with a mortar and pestle (or a grinder, both works well) until the nuts turn into a sand like texture, keep a few larger chunks of nuts.

Mix the spices with the nuts and blend very well.

Tip: if you store it in an airtight container, you can enjoy the Dukkah for 6 weeks.



You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this receipe Lindsay, I am a huge fan of Ancient Egypt and and I will definitely try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! Let me know what you thought of it! :-)

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering!!! I want to slather this on roast root veggies (including potatoes) right away. Yummmm!!! Thank you for sharing such marvelous, diverse recipes with us, sweet gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever do, let me know what you thought of it ^_^!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images