An emotional reflection on my 2014

December 31, 2014

Marilyn Monroe as Clara Bow.

An emotional account, but here goes:
The year 2014 was a year where I had to show my strength, willpower and determination and I felt I was being put to test very often. There has been a lot going on in 2014 I have not talked about on my blog or elsewhere online. I have been shying away from the internet more than ever before and I received a lot of messages on Facebook where the hell I was. My blog barely suffered from my online absence, because my blog is just the thing that I wanted to expand, but more about that later.

However, I was done with the life I led online. It was time to explore the world outside and mend my social circle. That wasn't always easy; I have cut strings with people I felt were not good for me and I stepped into wonderful new friendships with people all over the world (and many whom I am going to meet in 2015 *woohoo*). But it's always hard to say goodbye to people you once loved so very much, but I wanted the year 2014 to revolve around my self healing and self discovery, and some people kept pulling me down. I wanted to search for a better me, a healthier me and a more conscious me. I wanted to view the world as a beautiful place instead of it being Sodom and Gomorrah. I didn't succeed in that all the time, but one keeps trying.

I decided to see the good side in things, and people, more than I did the years before. I decided to forgive people who have hurt me with their silly actions, solely to heal myself. Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting what they did to you, but it means removing that anger inside of yourself that leaves nothing but a festering wound - and all that it does is destroying you inside. I have learned something from those people and things, even though it wasn't a pleasant experience.

The year 2014 was also the year where I moved house together with my beloved partner Ben and cat Figaro. And what a great choice it was. Our former home brought us nothing but tears, sweat, anxiety and problems. Let's say that we moved out just before things would explode and would bring us into severe problems. The home we live in at the moment has brought us so much joy and peace and we have such great neighbours who share our view of the world and life. The experience in our former home made Ben and me grew even closer and our love stronger. We have survived hardships, and no, that wasn't easy because our stressful former home made us become two very stressful people, and there were times that I almost threw my antique china to his head out of frustration. But our love is so deep and so passionate that I know it can survive anything. 

The year 2014 is also the year where I opened up more about my trauma in therapy (a trauma that gave me PTSS); and we made it a priority to work on, and work on it I did - very hard. This might have been the hardest I had to endure this year, but it's a step necessary, since I am still being haunted by this ordeal, which happened 6 years ago, in my early 20s, and it still effects my daily life and it grew only worse this year. I want to view myself as a survivor ... and not as a victim anymore. With the therapist I am seeing already for 4 years (he truly is my beacon when all I can see is darkness), I will start to work on this and it's going to be a painful road, but I do it for a particular reason in the end, and that keeps me going: when I am healed myself, I want to help other victims of a particular trauma overcome their trauma, and help them mend themselves. I want to make something good out of my traumatic experience and I can do so by helping others. However, I can only do this when I am healed myself, and so that's my biggest goal for 2015.

Other goals will be: picking up things I have put on the back burner. I want to start modelling again, and I have also been asked to join a reenactment group; an invitation I immediately took. In this group I will have the task to make sure the women dress correctly according to WWII fashion. There have also been great events planned for this reenactment group already and I am very much looking forward to participate. In 2014, I also made the decision of becoming a professional blogger and I have set baby steps towards that direction. This blog will see major changes in 2015, but it will always evolve around things vintage and other things that has got something to do with my favorite era's: the 1930s and 1940s. I also want to weave personal posts back into it again, which I have been toning down in 2014 for reasons mentioned above.

I have learned so much about myself in 2014; I gained wisdom I hope to bring with me to 2015. I have a long and painful road to go but to quote one of my favorite quotes: "the greater the struggle, the more glorious the triumph." I have the feeling that 2015 will be a great year, full of new opportunities and travels around the world. It will be a year for a better, healthier and happier me. 

I look forward to a new, fresh year!

Happy new year to all of you! *raises Champagne glass*


You Might Also Like

16 Comments

  1. I have only recently found your blog but already I am so inspired. You have obviously been through tough times but your will power to get through is so admirable. You're very beautiful and your style is lovely. Best wishes for the new year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hayley, thank you só much you words mean a lot to me. Thank you, thank you! All the best to you in the new year! xx

      Delete
  2. Soulful, deeply touching post, sweet Lindsay. Like yourself, I have been feeling a very powerful pull to connect with the offline world more and have every intention of doing so in 2015 and beyond. There are a lot of perks and pros to the web, but it doesn't need to consume our whole lives by any means and I really do think we'd all be a lot more happy if we struck up a better online vs online world balance.

    May happiness, good health, and countless reasons to smile be yours in 2015!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I agree with you fully, and therefore I decided to enjoy more of the outside world in 2015 aswell!

      Delete
  3. yes, deciding to see the good things is life is always best. this was such a wonderful read this morning, and on the last day of 2014, i really needed it. i hope that 2015 will be the best year in your life. have a great one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I wish you the same Abigail!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your blog! And Happy new year from Normandie, France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and a happy new year to you, too!

      Delete
  5. So many hugs for you, Lindsay. I know 2015 will be amazing for you. Your sheer will and strength are inspiring, I'll hold some of that strength to get me through the new year.
    Happy New Year! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweet Carla, that's awefully kind of you! Happy New Year <3

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a year. I'm glad you had some positive experiences around a few negative ones and that you seem back on track for 2015^^ Way to go, Miss Lindsay^^ Can't wait to see more modelling photos and maybe some of this reenactment group.
    Greetings from germany, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Sandy, your words are so kind!

      Delete
  7. Dear Lindsay, I cannot wait to see what good and exciting new things 2015 is bringing to you. 2014 was one of the most difficult years for me, I had so many struggles, so much going on and heavy burden to carry on my shoulders, that sometimes was hard to believe that I would survive. So I deeply understand when you had difficult times and struggles, and that's why I strongly believe that both of us are going to have a splendid 2015! Because we survived 2014. And a much better year is ahead of us, my dear friend :-)

    Beta x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are two very strong women, aren't we? I hope 2015 will treat you better! Thanks for your lovely words.

      How are your parents?

      xxx

      Delete
    2. Well, unfortunately my dad passed away and my mom is a little fragile as you can imagine. Indeed sweet Lindsay, we are delicate and feminine... but strong and determinate! :)

      xx B.

      Delete
    3. I am so sorry, I wish you and your mum all the strength you can carry. You are such a good person Miss Beta, but don't foret to think about yourself at times aswell! xxx

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images