Veronica Lake Tells Her Hair Treatment Routine



© Written by Veronica Lake for the St. Petersburg Times, 1945

"Millions of words have been written about the importance of the brush to hair beauty. I still want to add a few, and to say that it's not how many strokes, but how you do it that's important. I use two good stiff brushes, one in each hand and brush away from the scalp, parting the hair several times and brushing from the back up aswell. Then I follow the brushing with a 10 minute massage of my scalp with my fingertips.

Don't laugh: I use butter for my scalp treatment that precedes a shampoo. I don't eat any that day, so as to have that tablespoonful of melted butter I need. I apply it on my scalp with a bit of cotton, on parts made all over my head. The salt in the butter acts as a scalp stimulant, and helps the butter absorb. Then I wrap an old Turkish towel around my head for the night.

Next morning I shampoo my hair with a mild soap, rinsing with warm water until there's no trace of the soap left. I use one-eight ounce glass of pure fresh lemon juice (strained) with four ounces of warm water, and pour this mixture over my hair and then don't rinse it off. This acts as a mild bleach, which keeps my hair the same shade and avoids dullness produced by chemical bleaches. It makes my hair soft and glossy.

Don't use my bleach unless you're a blonde. If you rinse it off, it's all right, ofcourse, and is a perfect water softener and soap remover." 


Comments

  1. She sounds quite modern with that butter scalp treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I thought aswell!

      Delete
  2. Such honesty coming from such a star!
    In this advice, we can see what clever ideas women had back in WWII, what sacrifices had to be made and what were the priorities of a women wanting to look her best. It's such an insightful post, dear Lindsay - and it makes our darling Veronica even more human, and closer to regular folks, struggling with keeping themselves pampered on day-to-day basis.

    Thank you for sharing this.
    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was really ahead of the hair oil trend of the 21st century by using butter. Her mane of long, healthy looks remains one of the most iconic of all time, so clearly she knew what she was talking about. This was a lovely, enjoyable read, dear Lindsay. Thank you for sharing it.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my absolute pleasure dear!

      Delete
  4. such a lovely lady and she also sounds very down to earth. it's so neat that even celebrities were making sacrifices to be a good example to those looking up to them. now days it just seems like stars do whatever they please weather its for the good of the people or not.
    love the first color picture. she's just so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was indeed absolutely gorgeous, ánd down-to-earth which sometimes made her impossible to work with. Almost no one in Hollywood thought Veronica likeable.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts