Straying from my extreme vintageness, and sad news

November 07, 2014


In such a short time, there's a lot going on in my life. You know what they say about Murphy's law right? I am in that situation now. I have heard terrible news but I also have good news to tell you. 


Let me start with the latter: The good news, is that my former landlord gave in after he received our registered letter in which we demand him to pay us, and if he wouldn't do that, it would go to the cantonal court. I think that, at first, he thought we were bluffing and he did not respond. Somehow something changed, and some morning last week Ben logged in online to check his bank account, and we saw that aforementioned landlord paid back our rental deposit of a 1000 euro's. You can imagine what a relieve it is and how well we slept since ages. Finally we are able to enjoy our new house to full extend.

Saying goodbye to my dog Kimbo

My dog Kimbo on the left and his friend Ivy on the right. Ivy died a horrible death years ago; she was ran down by a bus that drove too hard. They will now be able to play together again in doggie heaven.

The bad news is, that monday 1 o'clock I have to bring my dog Kimbo to his eternal sleep. This is so hard, so heartbreaking and I am absolutely devastated about it. But this choice was necessary, it had to be made; my dog is deaf and 85% blind, he is incontinent and suffers cognitive dysfunctional syndrome, which is canine dementia. Of the dog that I once knew, is nothing left. One of the symptoms of his dementia is that he avoids contact with human beings, and he has also forgotten his name and all the other tricks we learned him. He wanders around the house purely on instinct alone. His situation would never improve anymore, but only grow worse, and in fact it already did the past month. Rapidly. So the choice was "easily" made; he is already in such a bad shape that we will not put him through any more of it and he deserves his rest.

Kimbo in better times at King's day last April. It grew worse rapidly the past months.

But it's heartbreaking ofcourse: he was with me for 16,5 years. Although Jack Russel terriers (which is what he is) can grow up to be 25 years old, he still had a very long life compaired to other of this breed. It was a bumpy ride with him throughout his life, cause he was not at all the easiest, but I would not have want to miss it for one bit. 

Memories are looping in my head all the time, and this weekend will be one of saying goodbye. I am crying as I am typing this, cause my animals are my everything and I always have a hard time saying goodbye to anything I am attached to. This dog was given to me in a time I needed a companion so badly and he was my friend. I took him everywhere; friends, parties, vacations and even school.

It's going to be so heartbreaking monday.   

Straying from my extreme side

As you probably saw in the pictures already, I am not dressed in my usual strict vintage "uniform." And I have a reason for that. I know many bloggers and other vintage aficionado's have strayed away from vintage over the past years because they discovered other great styles, but that's not quite what I am going through. 

Don't be afraid, I am not abandoning vintage, and start sporting mini skirts and uggs on this blog. Vintage is my home and my life and that will not change. But what you will see, is me dressing not so strictly vintage anymore; wearing repro brands here and there or wear my hair a little simpler like I have in these photos, but all ofcourse with a hint of my favorite bygone era's.

I am a perfectionist to the core and when I dress, I dress the complete picture. Everything had to be truly authentic, perfect, neat and historical correct and that became pretty tiresome, cause as some of you know, vintage clothing is not always in a great shape, and that made me afraid of moving (or walk freely when walking in vintage shoes). It's also such a shame that the clothing in my collection is preserved for 90 years and when I wear it, it'll break. I want to be careful with it, but that comes with a price.

Although there aren't many, there are some lovely repro brands out there and I thought I'd try that for a while - if only to walk freely instead of being so careful as not to break anything and look like Bambi on ice ... or being afraid to sweat the hell out of the clothes, and being afraid to sweat makes you sweat. 

It feels good and freeing to throw my clothes in the laundry bin and laundry machine without having left no nails because one of my favorite dresses might have shrunken twice its size. I have to handwash most of my dresses and such, and even then vintage clothing can go its own way and fall to pieces, and to me it never really feels truly clean. Believe me, I do take good care of it, but some of my clothing in my collection is in a really bad shape.

What I wear on the photos.

My (vegan-friendly) shoes are from Ruby Shoo. My dress is truly vintage, by the way, and was gifted to me by my friend Marinka. It's from the 1930s and usually I would have worn authentic 1930s shoes with it, but chose repro's instead ... and lovely ones at that. They walk heavenly, as does my other pair from Ruby Shoo, so do try this brand out! My coat in the first photo is from the 1930s/1940s.

My hair has been tied in a simple chignon, which is also so much easier for rain-y weather (droopy hair really makes me grumpy #thelifeandtimesofaperfectionist) that comes with autumn, and it also gives my hair a rest from hairspray and tightly rolled hair rollers. My hair had a lot to endure with all the dying going on lately, so it was quite a necessity.


So, no, I will not stray from vintage at all, but I will stray from my vintage extreme-ness. I am a very extreme person and I want to tone that side of me down a bit. My appearance had to be perfect all the time and I was grumpy when it was not, sometimes even refusing to go outside, which is outright ridiculous ofcourse. That attitude drains energy, hence I am learning that it's also ok when it's not entirely perfect or when I do not look as if I stepped out of H.G Wells' time machine, or being plucked from the silver screen. Perfection cannot be reached, but I did try and ofcourse it never works.

Vintage clothing is my passion and I will collect as many pieces as I can and wear them with much pride, but just not everyday. When wearing repro shoes or dresses, I don't have to be afraid that they will be ruined ... and when they do it's not the end of the world. It's a freedom I haven't felt for a long, long time.


You Might Also Like

22 Comments

  1. Darling Lindsay, my heart breaks along with yours for your precious dog. You are doing the right thing, I promise you, and if dear Kimbo could say thank you to you, I know he would. My thoughts and sympathy are with you - please know I'm always here if you need someone to talk to.

    Endless hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica, your words made me cry. They mean a lot to me. Thank you so very much!

      Delete
  2. Dear, darling gal..

    First of all: my deepest condolences for the loss of a dear friend. It is a sad doing, unfortunately, sounds so cruel when one has to say: that indeed was for your friend's own good. I do know how the poor things suffer, and I do know your pain, since I have been there,

    Next thing: please, don't EVER star sporting mini skirts and UGGSs on this blog of yours. This is a safe heaven, and UGGs are not something that would belong here. Joke aside, you look magnificent. Seeing these photos I must say: the color you've chose for your hair suits you quite well. I like it.

    Lastly: knowing how much 1000 EUR is (amazingly large sum of money, over here!) - I'm glad you got yours back. What a relief! :)

    Do try to brighten up, darling.
    I know it's hard.
    Again: so sorry for your loss.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marija, it's a very hard decision to make it makes it a little easier knowing that he won't suffer any more.

      Vintage is still my home and my passion. It's what I love and what I'll always love, and it wasn't just a style that liked for a while. So I'll always sport vintage on this blog and if not, I'll sport good repro's. Never mini skirts or uggs cause I just don't like those and I never did.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about poor Kimbo. I cried when I read that. It's never easy to lose a friend, and somehow it seems harder when they're the four-legged kind. But at least he won't be in pain anymore, and it sounds like he had a very good life :)

    -Elsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear girl, your words mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  4. Very sorry to hear about your dog. My thoughts are with you for Monday.
    You look as lovely as ever in your modified style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think you look fabulous!
    so good to hear that things with your former landlord are finally getting all ironed out.
    however, my heart broke to read of your situation concerning your darling dog. he looks like such a sweet character in the photos. i think that choosing to put and dear animal friend down is one of the most horrible decisions to ever make.
    having gone through the same thing with my moms dog a few summers ago, i hear you. please know that you'll be in my prayers and that you have my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abigail, it's all very difficult and my weekend is going by in a huge fog. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. Firstly, I want to say that I am very sorry for the loss of your dog. It's always hard to lose a friend, whether in person or animal form. My sympathies go out to you. I hope you find comfort in lots of happy memories.

    I've wanted to be that picture-perfect vintage gal who looks like she just stepped out of a time machine from the very first time I started wearing vintage.

    To be honest, I've never been able to achieve a true vintage look and I've admired your picture-perfect authentic vintage style for ages. What I didn't realise was how hard it is to do that, and how dedicated you have to be to achieve that; it's been an eye opener for me to read this post and understand a little more of what has to be sacrificed for 'vintage perfection'.

    Thank you for sharing your choices and reasonings. And I think you look perfectly lovely still ~ regardless of the addition of reproduction pieces or simpler hair styles. Just do what you need to, and be happy. ♡

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonita, for your kind words.

      It is quite a dedication and with dressing period perfect vintage comes a price. I took that for granted but in the end it tires one and I have to tone it down a bit. I'll be a perfectionist most of the time so vintage will be sported on this blog a helluva lot, but sometimes I want to feel that it's ok when it can be done with less, for example a repro brand. That's not the end of the world!

      Delete
  7. Dear Lindsay, as a dog lover and jack russell owner my heart breaks for you. Hang in there, girl. I'm happy there's still your cat to console you.
    I know what yea mean with vintage extremeness (I am pretty extreme too) but let me tell you you look absolutely beautiful and your shoes are lovely!
    And happy the landlord finally gave in ;-)
    Inez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inez, for your kind words. The dog got his last chew bone today, and he'll be spoiled rotten in his last days. This weekend weighs very heavy on me.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry for poor Kimbo, I've cried too reading this sad new..my sympathies go out to you Lindsay.
    Let me say that you look so fabolous and beautiful and your new style is perfect and lovely as always.I never thought it was so difficult to have care of vintage clothes...how stupid I am ,you are right!You have to feel free to walk in a confortable shoes and wear a dress without any fear about rips or sweat. You know,that's one of the best vintage blog I've ever seen so don't worry and remember: a vintage soul never lost her fabolous "allure"! And you are a gorgeous vintage girl!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your dog. I know how devastating that must have been for you. Sometimes the best way to show our loved pets we care about them is to help them find a peaceful end to a difficult life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia Lynn. It was a very hard but necessary choice. I do not like to see animals suffering.

      Delete
  10. I feel so sorry for you dear friend, I have had the same experience with 2 of my pets so I really understand how you feel... he will feel better where he will go, that what you must think. Hope you will be better soon!
    For the extreme vintageness, I also understand really well. As I cannot wear vintage at work, I have still freedom in my everyday life. But sometime, when I wear vintage, I like it of course, but feel a bit in "jail"... cannot sit on the ground, cannot run always thinking about preserving my dear clothes.... For shoes, I have lond time ago decided to go for repros because vintage shoes are so delicate, I was fearing dirt, rain, snow.... that's not life! And now, I try to buy more simple coton clothes, everyday wear that you can wash easily and also feel confortable... my husband is sometimes more vintage than me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurence, the choice was very hard but it was made easier because I hate to see them suffer.

      You're spot on with saying it feels a bit like a jail. It feels like that indeed. I will not stop wearing it altogether but just not everyday anymore.

      Delete
  11. Veel sterkte met het verlies van Kimbo!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images