Little snaps of life + some thoughts!

October 08, 2014

With moving house, and a difficult former landlord (read all about it in my previous post accompanied with some new home photos), I am quite the buzy bee lately. My energy is drained and I go to bed usually around 20.00, which is reaaaally early for me. I am prone to stress and my whole body is aching and my tinnitus grew worse. I do try to keep a positive attitude towards it all; I refuse to let the landlord take away the joy of living in our new home, though in my mind I am constantly arguing with him. That's very tiring, especially since we have to wait till the 30th of october to take further action in suing him.

Writing on my blog is also a bit on the back burner and I have even thought of taking a pause from it all together. Mind you, I have been blogging non stop since 2009 and that's a long time. I have been pacing to and fro and also played with the thought of leaving internet for a while, and just enjoy life outside it. Yet I decided that a pause, blogwise, is not in the cards yet and that I will continue writing, but only on a smaller scale. Saying that, I will be found less on the internet. There is an outfit post on its way, though, so I do have some cute posts upcoming.

The first day of moving house. We almost drowned in the abundance of stuff we have. I almost applied for the television program Obsessive Compulsive Hoarder. I had absolutely no idea we had this much stuff (this is not even half of it) and you know ... the small things are the most annoying; they took the longest to move house.

Do you know that behavior, by the way, that, on the first day of moving house, you label boxes and perfectly store things in the right box, but that at the end you just throw it in whatever box is available?


The main entrance. The door is to our creepy basement, and the stairs lead to the second floor. 

I have three of such drawers stocked with many herbs and spices, different salts etc.
Obsessive compulsive hoarder *cough*.

Ahh, the vast staple of my breakfast: The Glowing Green Smoothie. I can't live without anymore. And you know, it really changed my mood and my vitality after already one week of drinking this every morning. With this smoothie, by drinking it even only one day, you get 4x more vegetable intake than a person eating it for a whole week in its solid shape. The Glowing Green Smoothie is an invention of Kimberly Snyder and I learned about it from Dita von Teese.

I have read Kimberly's book "The Beauty Detox Solution" and it changed my view on food and the importance of it, for good. I followed her diet for a while and definitely noticed a change in my appearance: I looked younger, healthier, my skin was radiant, my hair had a lovely shine ... etc. Her book is an absolute must read and I am planning on following her diet again. For the smoothie recipe: The Glowing Green Smoothie.

I found these two lovely cards on Marktplaats and bought them. I didn't had both actresses in my card collection yet.

Whilst moving house I didn't felt preparing lunch myself, so often we were found at Bakker Bart, a lunchroom around the corner of our house. I was enjoying a delish Italian Panini here.

I had an appointment this day, but which was cancelled. I had an extremely good hair day, which I always have when I don't have to go outside. So here I was, all dressed up, and didn't felt the need to stay inside. I took a long hike along the river Yssel. It's windy now that it's autumn and it's especially windy alongside the river, so suffice to say that my hair did not stay this way.

I have recently dyed my hair again and I am now a mid-brunette with a bit of reddish glow. I would have loved to stay a redhead but the faith of my blonde hair outgrow decided elsewise. I ended up being little mermaid red and the only antidote for that was re-dye it with a mid-brown. So I did and it worked. But gone are my red locks and I am now a brunette. I will post pictures soon.

I love reading about fashion in the Netherlands during WWII.

We don't have a stove yet, so we have to cook (nostalgically) on a parrafin stove. I love it!

Bad me: I saw the movie of this novel first (and LOVED it) and then went to read the book. My boyfriend brought it home for me when he found it in a thriftstore. What a magnificent book it is. As is the movie and if you haven't seen it yet, you really should.

I recently bought these shoes but not without guilt. Unbeknownst to me, my friend Jip from Old-fashioned at heart, was also bidding on them. When the seller and I made a purchase-agreement, I enthusiastically told Jip I bought new shoes and she said she was also aiming to buy them. Somehow the seller didn't respond to her, and the shoes were already on their way to me. She said I could have them and that she would save her money for winter shoes. I felt a little guilty. 

The shoes are from the 1930s and will be soon photographed for an outfit post! They are gorgeous aren't they?

Fresh flowers always make me happy!

With autumn here, I regularly enjoy tea ( Echinacea in this photo) with: SPECULAAS!

My dear, beloved cat Figaro. What a darling!


You Might Also Like

11 Comments

  1. So glad to hear others experience this symptom, too, of starting to move house very organized and planned only to end up in a chaos just hours afterwards, it was the same here^^
    I really hope that it will all be well in the end with your former landlord. I was very nervous because the caretaker of our old appartment was a real dislikeable person and the landlord very finical, I was so glad when it all was over. Fingers crossed, hope you can close this chapter soon.
    I love the Rebecca-Film, too, but the book didn't convince me. I didn't like the main charakter in it, she was so passive, so willing to accept everything, suffering without any need to suffer. Of course, with a stronger character the story wouldn't have worked, but still, not my kind of protagonist, I fear.
    love, ette
    (who is really trying hard not to start talking about your shoes again. These are amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so I am not the only one who's a chaotic person moving house! In the end I just want it to get over with.

      I am not thát far in the book yet, but perhaps I might share your opinion on it. I am reading it in my own language, so everything sounds a little silly.

      I did like the choice of Joan Fontaine for the movie; she was perfect for it.

      Delete
  2. Figaro is such a cutie! Your new place looks so lovely (:
    I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your old landlord, what a grifter! I hope you get your money back.

    I wish I could take a break from the internet, but as my classes are online it is not to be. I look forward to your outfit post! (:
    -Elsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks! I hope we'll get our money back, too. And yeah, I have also lots of things running online that keep me attached to it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, sweet dear, I'm just catching up on this situation now that we're home from our vacation and am truly sorry that you've been going through so much lately. Goodness, that would stress out, tire and wear down anyone. Fingers crossed that you never, ever run into a landlord like that ever again.

    Tons of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very, very tiring and I feel my health deteriorate. I'll manage, but it's such a waste of time! And I am sure he'll think the same when we won the case *crosses fingers*.

      Delete
  4. Gelukkig ga je nog door met je blog! Ik geniet altijd met je mee als je nieuwe oude spullen, kleding en schoenen hebt bemachtigd. Helemaal als je iets (anoniem) krijgt toegestuurd van een bewonderaar of als Ben iets als verrassing voor je meeneemt! Wat het genieten vergroot is dat ik niet de lasten heb die oude spullen ongetwijfeld met zich meebrengen. Door je blog kan ik en passant ook wat opsteken over de jaren 30 en 40. Soms zoek ik n.a.v. een tip van jou iets op via internet. Dan verbaas ik mij erover dat iemand van een andere generatie qua smaak zoveel overeenkomsten met mij kan hebben! Ik vind dat je goed bent in het verwoorden van je gevoelens en in het beschrijven van je gemoedstoestand. En dan ook nog heel knap in het Engels (waar heb je het geleerd?). Ik hoop dat je nog veel foto's van je outfits in prachtige settings en van jullie interieur op je blog blijft zetten. Ik zal er zeker van smullen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel voor je lieve woorden! Voorlopig blijf ik nog lekker bloggen en comments zoals de jouwe maken dat het absoluut waard! De inspiratie kwam ineens opzetten en dus ligt er weer een hoop in 't verschiet voor deze blog!

      Delete
  5. Gelukkig ga je nog door met je blog! Ik geniet altijd met je mee als je nieuwe oude spullen, kleding en schoenen hebt bemachtigd. Helemaal als je iets (anoniem) krijgt toegestuurd van een bewonderaar of als Ben iets als verrassing voor je meeneemt! Wat het genieten vergroot is dat ik niet de lasten heb die oude spullen ongetwijfeld met zich meebrengen. Door je blog kan ik en passant ook wat opsteken over de jaren 30 en 40. Soms zoek ik n.a.v. een tip van jou iets op via internet. Dan verbaas ik mij erover dat iemand van een andere generatie qua smaak zoveel overeenkomsten met mij kan hebben! Ik vind dat je goed bent in het verwoorden van je gevoelens en in het beschrijven van je gemoedstoestand. En dan ook nog heel knap in het Engels (waar heb je het geleerd?). Ik hoop dat je nog veel foto's van je outfits in prachtige settings en van jullie interieur op je blog blijft zetten. Ik zal er zeker van smullen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking back at this post, I realized I missed noticing: what an adorabe tea cup you have got, darling! :D
    ....

    I see you're reading.. anything to recomend????!

    Hug
    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's from the 1950s!

      My recommendation for a book would be "When Nietszche wept" by Dr. Yrvin D. Yalom. It's a mix of fiction and non-fiction, and one of my favorites.

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images