Beet pesto Spaghetti + house update and photos!

October 05, 2014


Hello loves! I am still very much alive, still very buzy with our new home and also our (finally former-) landlord. Although I can say now that he's our former landlord, we are still not rid of him at all, and when we had the key transfer on the day our rental contract ended, it even came to a verbal explosion. Long story short: he refuses to pay back our rental deposit, to which we still have the right, seeing as we did not cause any intentional damage whatsoever. It showed what we already expected, namely that he is a con man. He lies and blackmails, and sadly his real estate agent, whom we never saw before, plays along with him. Cause ofcourse, he's afraid to see his customer go; you don't bite the hand that feeds you.


Although it's pretty hard to get me really angry ... the landlord and real estate agent managed and I was fuming with rage. When I am fuming with rage I am anything but a lady. But mind you, we are talking about a rental deposit sum of €1000. I also háte it when people laugh in my face sarcastically and act belittling towards me - if there's something that angers me, it's that kind of behaviour. But you know what they say: he who laughs last laughs best, and I will be the one who laughs last.

From contractual perspective, we have to give him 30 days to pay us back our rental deposit, but he already said that he's not going to do that and that it's actually us who'll receive a bill from him. He and the estate agent also threatened to slander us with our new housing cooperative. We have engaged legal advisers and whatnot, and all of them said that we are in our rights, pretty strongly even. And even more so since there's NO condition inspection report with our signature, whatsoever, that shows how WE received the apartment before moving in, and how we should have left it when moving out. Such a report is necessary for the landlord to prove that we caused intentional damage and made a mess of the apartment. But we didn't, so without such a report he has no leg to stand on. The landlord and estate agent laughed when we said that we want éverything written down. And ofcourse they laugh. They're crooks. But with that attitude, he dug his own grave.

We have to wait till the 30th, and if he did not has paid the deposit by then, we have to send him a registered letter giving him five more days to pay it. If he does not, we can proceed by suing him. And sue him we will. Luckily we are legal expenses insured, and I think you agree with me that fighting for a 1000 euro's is totally worth it, and especially since we did not cause any intentional damage to the apartment. He never payed back the deposit to all of his tenants before us, and yes that did ring alarmbells, but he made such a grand story of it that I wanted to believe him. Looking back now I had to listen to those bells.

Anyway, our new house is so, so, so lovely. It feels so good and I am in a much more cheerful mood than I was back at our former apartment. We have so much options here and, oh, it's just wonderful. The cat likes it, too, which is not entirely unimportant. Today was yet another day of chores and making the house a real home to us :-)

Figaro looking down at the garden from the French balcony on the second floor. The garden houses lots and lots of sparrows - so that's cat heaven.

Finally we were able to hang our 1920s spice shelf on the wall in the kitchen. Very handy since I have zillions of spices and oils. The larger pots store coffee, tea, rice, sugar, etc.

We also hung our 1930s messing hallway lamp today. I am so in love with it and it's in mint condition, even after all these years. It's glass you know, so I am happy it's intact! The walls will be decorated with our Old Hollywood screen legends' autographs, which are framed and have a passe-partout. Yet to be hung.

We also hung our 1920s mirror (don't pay attention to the (1930s) lamps, they have yet to be hung)
The dimension a house gets with just a mirror - unbelievable.


We still have to cook the primitive way, since we don't own a gas stove or oven (ggrrrr) yet, and we use -oh how nostalgic- a portable parrafin stove. I am actually quite enthusiastic about this! And those who have used it, know how delicious that smell is; like grandma's kitchen right? I opened the two doors of our kitchen, put on some music and cooked away the primitive way - in a pre-war enamel pan. Well, I also used the blender to make the beet pesto pasta sauce, but still ... primitive! And it tasted that good, that I included the recipe: beet pesto pasta. Here goes!


Ingrediënts
  • Spaghetti for two
  • 3 beets, cooked and without skin
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • pinch of salt
  • pepper
  • 1 handful walnuts
  • juice of ½ lemon
  • 3 garlic cloves (if you are not a garlic freak like me I advise you use 2)
  • 50g parmesan cheese
  • ½ cup warm water

Cook the spaghetti al dente according the instructions on the package.

With the spaghetti boiling, prepare the sauce: add warm water, beets, a little bit of the parmesan cheese, pepper, garlic cloves, lemon juice, salt and walnuts to the blender and blend into a paste. If you want a thinner consistency you can add more water.

Mix the spaghetti with the beet pesto and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!



You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. everything looks amazing! the lamp and spice shelf are just too cool. wonderful job on the decorating and food!
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I wrote a previous comment but I don't know if a I sent it correctly, sorry!By the way I' m so happy for you and your new home!It looks so amazing!I love all these first captures , all these beautiful original vintage details!You're the best!!! Hope you all best wishes for your new life in your new sweet home!Enjoy it!!!!!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you só much! The details of our house are AMAZING! The house has such a good vibe, we really feel ourselves at home here.

      Thank you for your sweet words <3

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images