Recipe | Pumpkin pancakes

September 17, 2014

Although this recipe is héavenly in dark and cold autumn mornings, it is sure also delicious in the warmer days. Ben grew beautiful pumpkins recently, and I wanted to do something with it. Pumpkins are for me the epitome of autumn and I cook with them often whenever they are around.

Selfmade pancake batter
I have made delicious soups and salads with pumpkins already, so I wanted something different this time. I found this recipe on Yummly a couple of days ago, and coincidentally I heard Ben say that he was craving pancakes; I always happily oblige. Although I love pancakes, I barely make them and never with those ready made batters from a supermarket. Somehow I álways screw up with those (the pancakes end up at the ceiling and never on our plate) so I am forced to make my own pancake batter; somehow that does work for me. I don't use a special pan for this, so I cross my fingers that they will be nicely round as a pancake befits. Sadly I managed to do that only once. But the taste isn't less and believe me ... these pumpkin pancakes are to die for! That cinnamon and ginger smell! Oh, yes I am ready for autumn.

For more of my recipes go to a Dash of Nostalgia


Ingrediënts
  • ½ cups milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (it isn't necessary)
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ( I used more ;-))
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon salt (I used Himalaya salt)

In a bowl, mix together the milk, egg, oil and vinegar. And add the pumpkin puree. To puree the pumpkin you can either boil or bake it. I chose the boiling method as that is quicker. Cut the pumpkin in small pieces and add to boiling water and boil for 25 minutes. After it's done I added it to my food processor to puree it. Mix the milk batter well.

Add in another bowl the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and allspice and mix. I use a 1930s sifter for this, which is terribly handy. The key is to mix it all well. Stir this mixture into the pumpkin mixture to make a batter. Mix well.

Heat a lightly greased griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Scoop the batter onto the pan with a soup spoon and brown on both sides. The bottom is down when the top side shows little bubbles.

Serve hot.


You Might Also Like

10 Comments

  1. Massively, completely delicious looking! Thank goodness it's pumpkin season again. I've really missed it!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And yes, I am so happy it's pumpkin season again. The things you can do with it is endless!

      Delete
  2. Wauw Lindsay dat ziet er lekker uit! Ik heb hier een mega grote pompoen liggen dus ik zocht nog naar receptjes! Dank je wel voor het delen :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankje Emy! Laat me weten hoe je het vond, ik ben heel benieuwd! xxx

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness, these look SOOOOO very good. i would just love to try this. i've been making pancakes a lot for my siblings on saturday mornings lately, i'm sure they'd love these. and just so perfect, i so love the taste of pumpkin in these months. BEAUTIFUL pictures, dear.
    -Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Abigail! They were so tasty! If you're going to make them, let me know afterwards what you thought of it! I'd love to know! xx

      Delete
  4. Goodness these look and sound delicious, I shall certainly try them, hopefully the pumkin plant in my garden will produce a pumkin soon, fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good! I would love to use pumpkin in baking, however my country doesn´t sell pumpkin puree... at all. Its either the whole pumpkin (which is very expensive) or nothing at all. I was wondering, do you think that sweet potato might work as a replacement for the pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does neither, so I puree'd it myself with my blender. Or bake and boil them first and mash them.

      As a substitute I think sweet potatoe will do wonderfully.

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images