Escaping the fair

September 06, 2014



I remember so vividly when I got this ridiculously beautiful (late) 1930s dress a little more than a year ago. And it came with the original belt! That's a rarity! I fell in love with this dress immediately and simply hád to have it - no matter how direly poor we would become of it. I bought it via Etsy and it had to be shipped allll the way from the US to tiny Netherlands. Most of my clothing comes from the US by the way. I am still so in heaven with it!

Escaping the fair
Ben and I are very, very buzy moving house and our current home is stacked with boxes, boxes and boxes galore. It's a very stressful period - as is moving house for most people - and a bit of escape is welcome, in second place because it's village fair time again and the most horrid and gigantic village fair attraction is in front of our living space. Can you imagine? Abhorrent techno music, schoolgirls screaming from the top of their lungs, fighting dudes and bumping cars for a whole week long from 15.00 till 0.00. If it was a fair from, say, the 30s or 40 I surely wouldn't have mind! ;-) But I never really liked village fairs - not even as a little kid. 


But so you see, escaping the place is almost a necessity to keep ones head above the water! We decided to stroll a bit in the more quieter places of Zutphen, and also walk to our new home. Such a beautiful house and also enormous: it's majestic! It does have a holocaust history again; we always seem to end up in tragic houses.


Planning for the new house 
I love planning things for a new house, such as the colors, the bathroom tiles, floors etc. You can say I am moodboarding as if it's my last day here on earth. Our current home has, again, a beautiful fireplace, many many many windows and rooms with the original 19th century broad windowsill benches ( I LOVE those ) where I can sit elegantly against cushions with a good book and a cup of tea or N/A Chardonnay. The cellar is from the 14th century and hasn't changed one bit. It is really, really eerie. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.



Quiet around the blog
From the 19th of september on this blog will, naturally, be more silent, as we are, and will be, buzy with our new home. Luckily it does not require thát much work, as all the shitty chores have been done already, but I want it to be as perfect as possible and perfection does require a lot of work, and as is known with many of you: I am not one that does half of the work. I am a notorious perfectionist, sometimes to my boyfriend's sheer frustration. I drive him mád with my zillions of wall paint color samples and bathroom tile ideas; I am clutching his shirt as to enthusiastically show my new ideas when he is just about to drill a hole - and that 10 times a day. Friends sometimes compare me to a young Golden Retriever puppy. Nah. 

But where I usually live day by day, with moving house I always prefer to plan ahead. That, because I am one that panicks quickly when things get unfathomable, and chaos will only get worse. Yes, I am a terrible woman to move house with.

I have written a couple of blog posts in advance already, where I only have to press a button and I am done, so it will not be too quiet around here!

You Might Also Like

17 Comments

  1. You don't always get the chance to decorate etc a new home so do what you want to do and what you like with it! It must be so nice to choose all those little thing but a lot of details make the total really nice!

    xoxo Emma
    http://littlemissbamboo.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Emma! Though I must say we did not really do our best making it home-y with our current house, as we knew it would be temporary!

      Delete
  2. fantastic, the past is where it's at :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new home! Will you be buying or renting? I just love the detail on your dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And, yes it's a lovely belt!

      Delete
  4. Oooh I'm already excited for posts from the new house!

    And please DO share some pictures of that eerie 14th century basement! As a historian and lover of everything creepy I would love to see that!! :-)

    Byebye,
    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share it as soon as I have time for it and we are well settled!

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic dress, you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh Love this beautiful dress, is one of my favourites and it suits you so well! Share with us the photos of your new home as soon as it's possible!
    P.s.: you are a truly lovely and beautiful couple!!!I'm so happy for you,you look both fantastic!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words! The dress is one of my favorites, too! I will make pictures as soon as I can get to it!

      Delete
  7. That colour looks like it was custom made for your skin, eye and (new) hair colour, dear Lindsay. You look like nothing short of a million dollars in this marvelous coral hued vintage dress.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I am blushing haha!

      Delete
  8. this dress is a real beauty and the colour suits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images