My two favorite teas for when I am ill - and their recipes

August 12, 2014



Still ill ...
I am still ill with a virus (they think it's Campylobacter Jejuni instead of the Norovirus) - which made me miss a lovely long-wished-for beachwalk that I posted about here, plus outfit photos and photos of my new haircolor. I thought that the virus would be over by now, but sadly it isn't; my face and hair look like that of The Giant Claw. Anyway, sorry for a couple of whiny posts in a row, but bear with me; it's a bit of a must for today's post.

See, usually I am a coffee gal - especially in the mornings - but when I am ill I want to have none of that, not even the sight and smell of it, as the smell makes me nauseous. My caffeïne addicted body does want it, gravely, sure, but I am craving the more soothing tea's at such a moment.

A whole drawer solely for my huge stack of tea ...
Some of you who read my food blog (which has a new design and I am satisfied for once) know that, when I am ill, I prefer homeopatic and natural cures. Many of us have no idea how great the gift of nature is and how well it works and what it is capable of. Tea is a great example of that, and I have a kitchen drawer solely for my huge stack of loose teas - all sorts and all kinds - for the right moment of the day or situation.

I don't want to have anything to do with tea from a supermarket - not even the expensive brands, such as Pickwick, for the well known reason that it is just rubbish; - I only want loose leaf organic tea from health stores. And no, that is not me being picky. We have many of those healthstores in Zutphen and it's always a joy to visit and look at the wide assortment of teas available and pick the ones you like best. I am like a kid in a candystore, really.

Tea drawer © Martha Moments


My favorites for when I am ill ...
When I am in the situation I am in now, I have particular teas with health benefits that fit my miserable situation and which are able to get my body back to its healthy self. I have listed them for you!

Marigold tea 
Marigold tea is the best tea for me at the moment. This gorgeous, benificial flower has many active substances and is great for my current situation, considering I am ill with a bacteria that infects the gastrointestinal tract. It also helps digestion. Because the benefits of the marigold are pretty powerful, you do best to limit the intake of this tea to just the occasional cup - as you should do with most of the medicinal herbs. If you want you can use some chamomile in this tea: this works soothing.


Ingrediënts
  • 1 handful of marigold flowers/leaves
  • 1 tsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. chamomile

Boil water and let it cool for a minute. Pour it over a handful of Marigold flowers, chamomile and honey and let it strain for 6 or 8 minutes. Sieve and enjoy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ginger, honey and lemon juice tea ༻ 
This is not a tea I buy packed in a health store, but I buy the ingredients organic and make the tea myself. I have read this once in a book written by Laurel Vukovic that is named 1001 natural remedies. It's a bit of my natural remedy bible. It contains natural remedy tips for beauty, health, domestic pets and your home. It has learned me a lot and every now and then I grab the book to read if there's a natural alternative for, example, air fresheners etc. But it also contains many herb teas, and delicious ones at that.

This tea is great for that nasty flu feeling: shivers, sore throat, etc. I always make a huge pot of this tea that I keep warm on a tea light from, ofcourse, the 1940s.



Ingrediënts

  • 3 tsp grated ginger root (I like to use more for a more spicy bite to the tea)
  • 500ml water
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 2tbsp. lemon juice

Leave the ginger and water simmer for 10 minutes in a covered pot. Take off the heat, strain and add the lemon juice and honey. You can drink as much as you like.




You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. Ginger, honey and lemon are a godsend to me when I'm sick as well, as I'm unable to take most over-the-counter cold/flu meds (their ingredients such as alcohol and artificial sweeteners are too harsh for some of my conditions to handle), but can thankfully avail of this healthy, Mother Nature approved remedy.

    I'm very sorry to hear that you're feeling under the weather, honey, and am sending tons of healing get well wishes your way.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those 3 ingredients are enormously healthy to take even when one is not ill. I must say that I have never used any flu meds, I just sit it through, but with a little help of mother nature.

      Thank you so much for your well-wishes. I am starting to feel much better :-)

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images