Maureen O'Hara's beauty hints bundled

August 31, 2014


In a couple of posts recently I told you that I am adjusting my wardrobe and makeup colors not only to a new season, but also to my new red haircolor. Whilst searching for tips, I stumbled upon beauty tips from the gorgeous Irish redheaded beauty Maureen O'Hara. Maureen is still alive and kicking and, considering her age, still very good looking. I enjoyed these tips heaps, so I bundled them for you and decided to share.

"If you run short of powder rouge, suggests Maureen O'Hara, don't despair or feel you cannot get the rosy-cheeked effect of health. Just use a little bit of lipstick on the end of your finger and apply it carefully so that a light film of the color is in the right spot on your cheeks. Then powder over."

"A new coiffure, or a rather modern adapation of an old one, was created for Maureen O'Hara. Her hair, which she has allowed to grow for many weeks, is coiled into braids set low in the nape of her neck. Front hair is brushed back from the temples and forehead, turned under in low rolls. With evening dress, the back hair is dressed the same way, the side hair is set in a braid across the crown of her head, to add formality to the coiffure. Effect is demure, yet sophisticated  -- just that old Spanish way."


"Here's a recipe for resting from a girl who ought to know -- she's been dancing herself to a shadow. Maureen O'Hara says when you feel to tired to hold your head up, take 15 minutes off and lie out flat on the floor. Make your backbone feel the hard floor boards its whole length and lie completely still. You'll be surprised how refreshed you'll be when you get up again. Maureen uses this resting trick in her dressing room when she hasn't time for a long rest."

"Maureen O'Hara, the lass from Ireland, who knows what winter is like, says she found a light foundation a good protection against winter winds. Such a foundation is particularly adviseable if your nose or chin persists in turning pink in the cold. Choose a foundation which isn't drying; cold weather doing enough of that for you without assistance from your makeup."

"It's so easy to become too complicated with your beauty routines, believes Maureen O'Hara. She feels too many women forget the most obvious beauty methods and points to the lowly washrag as an example. Just plain scrubbing of the face and neck with a heavy washrag and some soap, then plenty of scrubbing with the same lowly washrag and plain water does wonders to any skin, says Maureen."


"A new idea for evening coiffures is the invention of Maureen O'Hara. Parting her curly titian hair in the center, she brings the side pieces back. Then she takes a length of narrow black velvet ribbon, runs it across the top of her head, and ties it in a bow on each side, which holds the side hair back off the face. The effect is slightly Grecian and most bewitching."

"Heavy makeup for daytime is out, says Maureen O'Hara, who credits her perfect complexion to her fondness for long cross country hikes, trips on horseback, any strenuous exercise in the open air. On these trips Maureen wears no make-up, with the exception of a pale rose pomade which protects her lips from chapping in the wind and sun."


"Maureen O'Hara sets the ends of her hair in curls by rolling each lock around a cold curling iron. Says the iron beats the "round-your-finger" method all hollow. Good substitute for a tail-comb. This method should work whether you have naturally curly hair or a permanent."

"All the rage in Hollywood are the new English herb scents. Maureen O'Hara chose a haunting spicy odor distilled of old-fashioned stock. She has a tiny bottle of perfume, a giant bottle of cologne -- excellent for summer."
   


You Might Also Like

15 Comments

  1. One of the most gorgeous women ever!Loooooove her alot! I like the new look of your blog Lindsay,well done!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And, yes, Maureen is stunning!

      Delete
  2. I hope you don't mind but I linked to your piece on Maureen O'Hara and makeup hints to my Maureen O'Hara Magazine on Facebook page. I know the fans will love it! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maureen-OHara-Magazine-Website/131269913567989

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot, I don't mind at all I am really flattered!

      Delete
  3. Oh my my ...have always wanted to know just what cologne/perfume Miss O'Hara preferred. Your info is as close as I've ever come to knowing the answer. Of course, want more info now ...would be wonderful to know the name of some of her fav perfumes. Thank You. Enjoyed this article very much! Jeannine of southern Indiana, USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad I could be of help Jeannine! The internet is full of old newspapers and this is where I got the info from.

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderfully lovely post! Maureen has always been amongst my favourite classic Hollywood starlets, so it was extra fun to hear these tips and tricks from her.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I am happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. Loved your article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that, thank you!

      Delete
  6. great post.and really good beauty tip.Very is easy which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing set of advices!
    First of all, let me tell you how magnificet your hair looks on your face (I have probably told you that, but there can never be too much flattering).
    The advices are strangely, quite up-to-date. The wash-cloth method is, to me, the best method for making sure that my face is fully clean; I tend to put on a light cream and then swipe it off with a cloth. Face is clean and glowing.
    Another astonishing thing is the "naural-way" of daytime makeup, that too is quite appealing to me. It's clean, easy and healthy.

    Lastly.. I have stopped and compared - you DO look like her, don't you think? :)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met Maureen only once when she came to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Miracle on 34th Street. I was amazed how youthful she looked and acted. She was in her 70's but appeared to be in her 40's. She radiated youth and charm and I'll never forget it.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images