Recipe || Spinach and Toasted Walnut Pesto Pasta

July 01, 2014


Don't be afraid, sharing recipes is not becoming a weekly feature on this blog, but I just love cooking, unusual recipes, and above all: I love eating. Mainly I cook nostalgic recipes and blog about these, as I am sure you know by now, but every now and then I love to cook modern day recipes; you might not expect it, but they can taste so different from eachother.

Perhaps you know this, too: I have changed my diet, and for a month now I am on a healthy track where I eat as healthy and clean as is possible (there are times in which it is not possible at all and I don't go crazy when that happens) and in which I have reduced my animal protein intake to 2 or 3 times a week. So far it gives me much benefits: more energy, healthy weight loss instead of crash diets which only contributes in a yo-yo effect, and I don't need any caffeïne to wake up. This is mostly due to the glowing green smoothie I drink every single morning. I will share this recipe in the near future for you, too. So more about that later.

The past week has been a buzy one for me and I've had barely time to cook something nostalgic, or eat healthy. I took part in a WWII re-enactment event at castle Doornenburg and going all culinairy was not possible. Served was bread with sausage and later that evening, pizza was ordered.

Believe it or not, nostalgic meals require more time and more human labor. When I cook, I cook with very old kitchen tools; these were not exactly labor saving for people, but that's what I love about it. I like cooking, right? And I like to experience how cooking must have been like in my favorite era's.

The recipe above is a labor saving recipe, as most of the work is been done by the food processor/blender. I just loved this recipe; the taste is so unusual and it is a healthy pasta recipe which is perfect for hot summer days. It is also vegetarian!


Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound pasta (I used a colorful fusili)
  • 3 cups baby spinach
  • 1 cup parmezan cheese, grated
  • 3/4 cup walnuts
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I used Himalaya salt)
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Cook the pasta according to the instruction on the package until it's al dente. Toast the walnuts in a fry pan/ sauté pan over medium heat until they are golden brown.

Combine the spinach, parmesan cheese, walnuts, lemon juice, salt and pepper and add to the food processor/blender. I have used my blender, by the way. Slowly add the olive oil and puree until smooth and blended. 

Stir the spinach pesto together with the pasta and garnish with tomatoes and a bit grated parmesan cheese.

You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. This looks delicious! I love pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore that about classic/vintage/heirloom recipes as well. There is something satisfying right down to the pit of your soul (at least if you're lovers of cooking like we are) about devoting time and energy to making a dish, instead of just tossing something together in a mad rush on the fly and/or using premade ingredients.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images