Recipe || My favorite summer drink: The Strawberry Daiquiri

July 29, 2014

© Dash of Nostalgia (my food blog)

Oh, the Daiquiri (pronunciation: dai-kérie)! My favorite summer drink for many moons now and when taking a sip, one is immediately thrown to 1940s Havana in Cuba. Palm trees quietly rustle in a soft summer breeze, Carmen Miranda singing on stage of the club, women in low-cut floral dresses with colorful bakelite bangles and flowers in their curls, men in Panama hats and a tropical heatwave going on. 

I got first introduced to the Daiquiri in such an environment many years ago (without Carmen Miranda, sadly), so perhaps the above described is just my association with it, but eversince that day, this sweet cocktail is my antidote for a heatwave and became quite the addiction. I like to make my Daiquiri's myself, according to truly old recipes, but these sadly contain alcohol and I have quit just that 11 months ago. Recently I have been experimenting with N/A versions of this delish liquid and I must say I was not dissapointed at all. I went crazy and made many batches a day, to keep Benjamin and me cool in our sweltering mid-city apartment.

When I talked about the Daiquiri in *this* post, some of you asked me for a recipe and I decided to meet the wish and started.


History of the Daiquiri
The Daiquiri is around for many moons already and to be precise it's been found in 1900 in a bar named Venus in Santiago, Cuba. The drink was originally served in a tall glass packed with cracked ice; a teaspoon of sugar was poured over the ice and the juice of a lime or two was squeezed over the sugar and the Rum was the finishing touch.

The Daiquiri in the 1940s
Although being around for so long already, the Daiquiri didn't reached it's peak in popularity until the 1940s. Due to rationing going on, Whiskey and Wodka were very hard to get but Rum wás available thanks to Roosevelts Good Neighbour Policy (which simplified the trade with and travel to Latin-America and Caribbean.) This policy also made Latin-American popular and en vogue and because of this, drinks which contained rum became extremely popular. Before this, rum was only for the sailors and other "scum."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++


There are many, many variants of the Daiquiri and when you make it yourself you can just use any fruit you like. My favorite is the Strawberry Daiquiri so I decided to make this one for you. Because I don't drink alcohol, I exchanged the rum for rum flavor and it works just as well.

I use my blender for this, but you can also just mash everything.

Ingrediënts serves 1
  • 4 large strawberries
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tsp. rum flavor
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
  • 180 ml cold lemonade syrup
  • 4 ice cubes
Mix all the ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth and most important: sit back, relax and let it take you back to 1940s Cuba!

Tip: Listening to some Carmen Miranda whilst preparing your Daiquiri 


You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. Delicious! Great recipe too :) When I was in the Dominican Republic a few years back, I went to a rum plantation, where after the tour, they served fresh Daiquiris in iced glasses on a shady, leafy patio. It was bliss :D Here's to a long, hot summer filled with scrumptious bevies. Erin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit the Dominican Republic some day! Seems such an experience to me. When you told me they served Daiquiri's then I'm sure I have to go there.

      The last Daiquiri I had that was not self made, was on a cruise ship in 2011; it was a HUGE glass with a sugared edge, and I became quite tipsy because of all the rum!

      xxxx

      Delete
  2. i like this drink
    Thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images