Recipe || Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Cinnamon Créme Fraîche

June 26, 2014


Hello friends! Since I have been pretty ill in the past week, I had enough spare time to nicely educate myself in the wonders of food photography. I am [trying] to suck up as much as I can of this lovely hobby, mainly for my food blog - where would a good food blog be, without mouthwatering photos!?

Being buzy with this also gives a great distraction of my tinnitus that has been growing worse the past few days. Tinnitus is the continuous hearing of a high ringing in one or both ears. I have this for quite a while ( I think I gave myself a permanent hearing loss, by going to metal and industrial concerts without any ear protection), and when that happens, the brain makes up for what you don't hear anymore and thinks it contributes by making noises itself.

Tinnitus sounds worse than it is. And it can be quite terrible, ofcourse, but you can compare it to the ticking of a clock; you will get used to it, and eventually you won't hear it anymore until you are thinking about it again. Tinnitus works practically the same. But, I catched a cold and my Eustachian tube got an infection, and this causes dull hearing ánd thus tinnitus growing worse. I cannot shut out the high ringing and it drives me mad. Even so, that it got me to an emotional breakdown. That happens when one is in need of complete silence, but not being able to escape the high noise in your ear - ever. I haven't experienced complete silence for a long time already and that both angers and saddens me. Tinnitus caused by hearing loss won't go away, and worse: there simply is no cure for it and you have to learn to live with it. They are working on a cure and they have found something in 2013, and within a couple of years, they think, it can be tested on people. I have medication for my Eustachian tube malfunction (which tastes like Napalm) and hopefully within a week I will be relieved of this misére.

But so you see, every distraction is more than welcome, and infusing myself with food photography tips, delicious recipes and cooking helps a great deal (ofcourse with the sound of the sea on the background, as they advise you to listen to when wanting to escape tinnitus (doesn't work by the way)).

I decided that, since my food blog only includes nostalgic recipes, I will share the modern ones here. Not in abundance as this is, and will remain, a vintage blog. If you want to see my (hopefully) improvement on the food photography, you can follow my blog A Dash of Nostalgia.

Now, the soup! In summertime I usually fancy salads and soups and I know, this soup is a true autumn soup ... but when I stumbled upon it whilst pinning the most stunning photos on Pinterest I had to make it, and it tasted só good, that I had to share it. Here, with you. The blueberry pizza was a favorite of you and I thought that perhaps a soup, too, would be lovely. (Tomorrow I have another recipe to share *yum*)


Ingredients
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 3 apples
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
  • 1/4 tsp salt (I used that pretty pink Himalaya salt)
  • 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • fresh sage sprigs
  • 1 cup créme fraîche
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat the oven 400°F (200°C). Slice the butternut squash and scoop out its seeds and discard these. Place both the halves on a parchment lined baking sheet, with the open halves down.

Peel, core, and slice the apples into large pieces and place them on the same baking sheet as the butternut squash.

Peel and toughly chop the onion and place it also on the baking sheet, along with the peeled garlic clove.

Drizzle the olive oil on the apples, onion, butternut squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 45 minutes until you can pierce the butternut squash with a fork.

Carefully scoop out the meat of the butternut squash with a spoon and discard the skins.

Place the squash, apples, onion, and garlic in a blender or food processor. Add chicken broth and blend until smooth. You can best do this in two batches.

Pour the puree in a large pot and bring to a boil on the stove. Reduce heat to a simmer and place the sprig of sage in the soup and simmer for 10 minutes.

While the soup is simmering, combine the creme fraîche with the nutmeg and cinnamon.

Serve the soup in a soup bowl with a dollop of creme fraîche on top.






© Recipe source: insockmonkeyslippers

You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. This looks delicious! And it sounds perfect right now (it's been raining here for the past two days :C )
    I really like your food photography thus far! I've read many sites that suggest using plain white dishes when photographing food, so that the focus remains on the food itself, but I disagree (great expert that I am, lol!) I like your photographs, they create an atmosphere as well as showcase the food (:
    -Elsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, most of my photos are simply bad. But I am doing this not even a year already and I do see progression. So it is not a completely lost case.

      I agree with you that one should not only use plain white dishes. That can create a marvelous photo, but I gave my heart to the more moody, still life photos and that is also what I am aiming for.

      I am not a photographer, I am doing this for a hobby - a hobby that I really like.

      Delete
  2. Sweet dear, I'm so sorry that you have to contend with such a constant and unpleasant condition. I think that it would drive anyone to have meltdowns sometimes. I wish, beyond offering my deepest sympathy, that there was more I could do to help you. I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed that the cure they're working on proves to be extremely successful and that you can avail of it one day.

    Gentle hugs & lovely first weekend of summer wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I could use a big bowl of that great looking soup right now. Despite being summer, it's raining cats and dogs outside right now and isn't the warmest last Friday of June I've ever experienced by any means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your heartwarming words. They really struck a chord. Thank heavens I am on the mend and my tinnitus reduced to its old frequency. Sadly it's still noticeable, but only when it's quiet.

      The other one got above any other noise. That one is gone, pfew!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images