Recipe: Cold summer-y pasta with smoked chicken, mango and raspberry dressing

June 07, 2014



Are you familiar with the feeling where your appetite has abandoned you during hot days of summer? When a heatwave is going on, all I crave are cold Daiquiri's, fresh fruit and salads. Lots of ice cream, too. Although summer does things to your appetite, your nutritional needs are just the same. I always try to steer a middle course where I can eat a worthy meal which does not make me nauseous because of the hot weather. This pasta course is just perfect.

Many of you who know me, know that I usually cook recipes from ye olden days, but that I have also been a great lover of (modern) pasta's. Pasta was something rather new for people of my country in the 1930s and 1940s and, although it was eaten, it was not prepared with the variety of ingrediënts available today. So every now and then - certainly when a heatwave is going on - I like to call on my favorite pasta recipe and deviate for once, from my habit of cooking nostalgic. This recipe is served cold, is filling and, not entirely unimportant, just ridiculously delicious. On my food blog I only share the nostalgic recipes and this one does not belong there. But because it's a lovely recipe of which I know some of my readers would like, I decided to share it here.



Ingredients pasta

  • 150g spelt pasta 
  • 200g smoked chicken, sliced/diced/cut
  • Mozarella, diced
  • 1 handful of pine nuts
  • 1 handful of almonds
  •  Rucola
  • 1 mango, diced

Ingredients raspberry dressing
  • 4 tbsp. raspberry vinaigrette
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 1 tbsp. mustard (I used Dijon)
  • salt and pepper

Cook the pasta al dente, set aside and cool. Combine the mozarella, chicken, rucola and mango and set aside. Bake the almonds and pinenuts together in a fry pan, briefly, until brown and add to the mozarella, chicken, rucola and mango. Mix the pasta with all the ingredients and set aside.

For the dressing: mix the lemon juice with the raspberry vinaigrette, honey and mustard and add olive oil while stirring. Season with salt and pepper and mix the dressing with the pasta. 

Enjoy! :-)





You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. That looks so delicious! I never want to eat in the summer, (except for ice cream and fruit smoothies!), so a cold noodle salad should be perfect.
    Since I've started working, I notice my eating habits are awful. One night I was so tired, I came home and had a large energy drink for dinner. So bad!

    On another, perhaps sillier, note: your dishes are lovely! Photographing food is a lot harder than it looks (speaking from experience), and your food photos always look so nice (:

    Cheers!
    -Elsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I love to photograph food, but there's so much to learn for me, still.

      I know of bad eating habits, I have them too. I usually skip breakfast; I just can't eat in the morning and I know it's the most important meal of the day.

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images