[ Newspaper throwback ] Be careful in choosing a perfume







Perfume has always been referred to as appealing to emotions. It does fascinate, intrigue, appeal to the imagination. What there is about the spring season to awaken women to a desire for perfume I can't say, but judging by letters pouring in to this desk, more and more women are on the alert to discover "the right perfume."

The question "what perfume shall I use" is as difficult to answer as questions pertaining to colors for makeup. For the connoisseur takes into consideration her personality and type, the time of day, the occasion, even the fabric she intends wearing. One very fastidious woman I know has several exquisite odors and varies them according to her moods. "Every woman has several selves," she says, "and perfume is one way to let them all have expression."

Avoid mixing odors
Some women have achieved remarkable succes in their use of perfume. They may have several distinctive scents, a faint, delicate odor for morning, a little heavier for afternoon tea, a musk, woodsy perfume for sports clothes and furs, a delicate bouquet of odor with semi-formal chiffons, and a rare exotic perfume for formal functions.

But, regardless of the number of different perfumes they own, there is one thing smart modern women have learned and that is; not to mix or superimpose harmonious odors. As a matter of fact, more and more toilet goods manufacturers are using only the faintest suggestion of perfume in creams, lotions, powders and rouges so that the various scents will not be strong enough to clash with, and furthermore so that if a woman wishes to use a predominating toilet water, sachet or perfume the odors in her facial preparations will not conflict with the chosen perfume.

Temperament and Type
Coloring is important, as most blondes are flattered by delicate floral odors, but more than color temperament and personality must be considered as many a blonde has a vibrant intense personality, and many a brunette has the placid, cool nature often attributed to blondes. Age is another important factor as it stands to reason that a young girl should not use the heavy odors becoming to more mature types.

Remember all these hints when looking for a perfume that will flatter and express YOU. Surround yourself with the perfume that seems to please you most, and be sure, too, that others are equally pleased. And then, just as soon as the perfume becomes too familiar to those around you, make some sort of subtle change. Perfume should carry a hint of mystery with it, like a spring breeze; intriguing, now here, now gone; but enough to make its delightful impression on the senses.

by Elsie Pierce, 1932

Comments

  1. I love that you post these articles, especially since a lot are relevant even today! I adore perfume, I must have a dozen little bottles of it scattered around the house. Contrary to the article's advice, I do mix fragrances in the sense that I use different combinations of scented lotions and perfumes, (if I use a fruity body butter, I try to match it with a breezy or fruity perfume). I love creating new scents, though it must be a bit unfortunate for those around me when my latest 'mix-n-match' goes awry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy posting these articles, so you can expect a whole lot more.

      And, about you mixing perfume; I am always of opinion that these articles are a nice guideline, but that you should always do what pleases you. Perhaps you come up with a scent that will be such a success you can make a profit of it haha!

      Delete
  2. Lovely article and advice. I really think that perfume is not a "one kind fits all" sort of situation. Case in point, back in my late teen years, I was given a number of free sample vials of the perfume "Happy" from Clinique. Though an objectively pleasing and beautiful scent, which I received a lot of compliments on when I wore it, I never felt like it was me. It was a bit like if I was wearing an outfit that wasn't my style, so once they were used up, I never wore that perfume again and happily, quickly, found another (Romance from Ralph Lauren) that worked for me a lot better. In the years since, I've found more, too, and now go back and forth between three that I really adore.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfume is certainly not a "one kind fits all", I totally agree with you, and Chanel no.5 is a perfect example of that. To some the smell does justice, but to others it smells like baby powder. Nothing wrong with that smell ofcourse, but as you see, you really have to search for the right scent that fits you. I am still on that journey :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts