A recipe I had to share: Blueberry Pierogi

April 12, 2014


As the title mentioned, I really had to share this dish. Usually I have my food blog for this (where I have, ofcourse, also posted this) but it was so delicious, that I thought you wouldn't mind me sharing it here also.

I didn't found out about this recipe the usual way - through a cookbook - but through a non-fiction book I am reading, called Olga's story; a book about the extraordinary travels of a Siberian woman, Olga Yunter, through three continents, two world wars and a revolution. Olga had to flee from her hometown, due to the Russian revolution, on the back of a horse when she was 19 years old, having nothing but a few ruby's sewn into her skirt. There was a price on her head. This book is written by her granddaughter Stephanie Williams, and I am devouring the pages. Everything she describes makes it, that you feel as if you are there in person. She writes it in such a way that, you can almost taste the dishes described, feel the Siberian cold nights or the dreadful heat waves, the fear she feels when fleeing her hometown - leaving her family behind to never see them ever again. When Stephanie described her grandmothers youth in the 1900s, and an icy cold Christmas in particular, she was writing about a typical delicacy called 'Pierogi'. The way she described that cold Christmas morning, where hot Pierogi was served on large platters, made me desperately wanting to try this and I decided to make this myself the following day.

Pierogi is a Polish delicacy which can be described best as dumplings made from dough and a filling. Although it is Polish, it is also popular amongst people of former Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. The East-slavic Belarusians, Russians, Ukranians, Lithuanians and Rusyns also consume this dish, albeit under a different name. It can be made in many different ways with fillings such as mashed potatoes, onions, mushrooms, meat, farmer's cheese, sauerkraut and spinach, but the standard Pierogi filling is mashed potatoes, cheese and fried onions. Pierogi is also a popular dish amongst vegetarians and vegans as no animal product is needed, as this is originally done with just the dough and water. (In my recipe there is an egg used.)



Another reason I wanted to try this, is because I really like the Polish and Russian cuisine. I do not know where my fancy for this kitchen comes from, cause as far as I know I have no Polish roots, except for an half-uncle who is born in Gdańsk (Danzig), shortly after WWII. 

As said before, Pierogi can be made with alot of different fillings but I decided to fill it with my favorite fruit: blueberries. I am definitely making this again and I am eager to try it with many other fillings. 


Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour (and more for floured surface)
  • 1 tbs. powdered sugar
  • 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten together
  • one cup warm water
  • fresh blueberries

Sift the flour and the powdered sugar onto a large wooden board. Make a whole in the center and pour in the lightly beaten egg and a bit of the warm water. Mix together, using a knife, adding little water at a time. Then, use your fingers to bring the dough together. Then knead the dough on a floured surface for 4/5 more minutes to make the dough elastic. Put the ball of dough into a bowl and cover with a damp tea towel for an hour. When done, cut the dough in two pieces and roll out until it is 3mm thick. Use a round cookie cutter (or a glass tumbler) to cut 8 cm circles. Continue to do so when all dough is used up. Then add the filling (I used 3 blueberries for each dough circle) and fold the dough over the filling to make a semi-circle that encloses the blueberries. Pinch the dough along the line with a fork so that the dough is well-sealed.

Bring a large pan of water to the boil and carefully drop the pierogi in the water. Keep the water to a gentle boil. The pierogi is ready when they start to float to the top. Drain, and set aside. Bake them in a little bit of butter and serve them with sour cream, whipped cream or powdered sugar.



P.s: It's reaaaaally good! Promise!

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

  1. What a beautiful story and great photographs! Thank you so much for sharing, Lindsay.
    Your pictures, writing and recommendations are always an inspiration for me to try these
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks so much! Let me know what you thought of it! xxx

      Delete
  2. They look so delicious!
    I'm definitely going to try it, but I do say 'try' because my cookings kills aren't always that great, hihi.

    xoxo Emma
    http://littlemissbamboo.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite easy to make, so you too can make them haha! I am sure.

      Delete
  3. Wow, wow, wow!!! These look fantastically tasty!!! I'm sending this recipe to my mom, a major blueberry fan (in no small part because she grew up spending some of her summers picking them at a blueberry farm that one of her aunts and uncles owned), right now. Thank you from both of us for it!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so curious what you will think of it. Let me know please!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images