Watching boats float by at the river Ijssel

March 11, 2014


A colorful floral blanket ...
Although it's still officially winter in the Netherlands, it feels as if we are enjoying a late spring. Temperatures were rising up till 20 degrees, and people crawled out of their houses en masse, grabbed a drink at the many lovely terraces in Zutphen; all very twitterpated and cheerful. Baby animals have been born here and there and the most lovely flowers have opened up; adorning the fresh green lawns like a colorful blanket.

I love it! And like I have said a couple of times in the midst of winter; we never really hád a winter and you don't hear me complain. Temperatures kept soft all the time - and bearable - with a few exceptions here and there. But it was unlike the year before where the winter was very, very cold. You dreaded the day you had to go outside and not even the most softest vintage fur coat and fur trimmed galoshes, were keeping you warm. But none of that this year!

Spring is one of my favorite seasons; it means new life! New chances! And a couple of new oppurtunities have opened themselves for me, and I am eager to grab them. What is your favorite season? Zutphen is marvelous; in coldness, but also when temperature is rising. It's delightful to spend an afternoon watching boats float by at the river Ijssel. Enjoying the sun, playing the Lorelei luring boats (as you do) and show off a new dress!

It is my latest purchase and it's a dress from the 1940s. It's a beautiful navy blue; my favorite color for clothing. I love the collar that is attached to it. The dress has long sleeves and is warm enough to go outside without being hidden underneath a coat.



My slingback pumps are late 1930s Palter DeLiso's and my sunglasses, which are also from the 1930s, are donated by a kind stranger, who we still haven't identified! Thank you kind stranger, for leaving this magnificent pair of sunglasses (and the gloves) at our doorstep 

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

  1. I love the weather, for the very first it's possible to take some photographs outside and there were already some fleamarkets this weekend... I hope that the weather will stay like this for a while and like you wrote: it's perfect to a dress without hidding it underneed a coat.
    Your dress is also really beautiful and whit those sunglasses, just perfect. You look stunning with it!
    Now I can't wait to wear my dresses that I found in Amsterdam, hihi.

    xoxo Emma
    http://littlemissbamboo.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Loved your recent photos too :-)

      Delete
  2. Aaahhh love this post and what lovely dress!I can smell spring everywhere , love this season , especially when the almond trees blossom with those wonderful white and soft pink flowers!Definitely I adore Spring season!You're so beautiful Lindsay ! Thank to share these images with us!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress! It has been very warm lately where i live, too. I like the idea of that dress being perfect to wear without needing a coat. I need more things like that!
    Looks like a lovely place to be on a warm day. I do love your hairstyle and glasses. How wonderful is the circumstance that got them to you!? That just makes me smile.
    Enjoy your nice days :)

    http://sweetergetsthejourneyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abigail, same to you! Before we know it, it's winter again!

      Delete
  4. These are such gorgeous photos, your hair looks perfect and the scenery looks absolutely tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, sweet gal! Always a big compliment coming from you!

      Delete
  5. How splendidly lovely!!! We finally got our first decent day of weather that felt a bit like spring this past Sunday. We'd been getting snow up until Wednesday then had icy, powerful winds for the next three days (too powerful to do a photo shoot in any of those days), but on Sunday all that stopped as the sun shot out like a rocket and the temperature climbed to 17. It's since cooled off a bit, but between the rain and sun the snow is melting and I sense that winter may finally be retreating (fingers crossed!).

    Really lovely, classic vintage springtime look. I especially like the gorgeous white lace collar.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely cross my fingers! Usually we have snow around this time, too!

      They have been measuring the weather since 1901 and never, ever since then, was march as warm as it is now!

      xx

      Delete
  6. These photos are so lovely! They eradiate Spring already with that beautiful sunshine. And you look stunning and cheerful. The dress is amazing, the sunglasses are so pretty and your hair looks perfect. I love your hair colour, so beautifully bright! I love Spring and the nice warm rays that come with it. A renovation of life! Also my favourite season. It's been 22ªC degrees in my town and I just love to go for walks... mhmm I love it so much! :o)

    Miss Beta xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your lovely words <3

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous outfit, you look amazing! I'm finding it so funny to read all the blog posts of those of you up in the Northern Hemisphere enjoying the first peeks of warmer weather, when down here I am impatient for it to end! Bring on the cooler months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yes I know how you feel! When it's a heatwave here, and I look at the photos of Australian blogs covered in snow, I think the same!

      Delete
  8. You are gorgeous in your new dress, it fits you perfectly! So kind to have these wonderfull glasses as a gift, people can be really nice!
    We also feel spring here in France, but nights are really freezing that's why I was really ill this week... weather is quite strange this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mh, yes the weather is indeed very strange! We are practically boiling out of our apartment at daytime but freezing at night in bed.

      I hope you feel much better now!!

      Delete
  9. Great post, you look amazing! :)
    Vintage Clothing UK
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images