Sunday relaxation

February 23, 2014


Today Ben and I came home quite satisfied after thrifting a fleamarket in our hometown. The weather was sunny and the place where the fleamarket was held, was not far from our home. So we decided to walk to our destination. In my winter coat, I could even say I had it a bit too warm!

Although the stalls didn't had as much as they usually have, we came home with some handy tools for our kitchen; all dating  from the 1930s or older. We bought a beautiful Reseda green enamel soap dish in the shape of a shell, a soap beater, coffee grinder ( so unbelievably cheap and in mint condition, too ), the dutch magazine Libelle from 1934 and a photo frame. I can never have too many photo frames and this one will display a signed picture of actress Carole Landis. Not the enormous haul we usually take home, but these are things that will be used in our kitchen to it's fullest (apart from the photoframe, that one will be displayed at my boudoir table). Most antique collectors just have these items for their collection. We, as nostalgists, really use it.

After we came home I poured us some velvet herb tea and I snuggled up on the couch with the Dutch magazine 'Libelle'. We enjoyed a delicous black berry roly poly that I made after a recipe from 'The cookbook of the stars'. A cookery book that has included favorite recipes of Hollywood stars in the 1930s. You can find the recipe at my food blog: A Dash of Nostalgia.


You Might Also Like

7 Comments

  1. wonderful photos! they definitely tell of a relaxing day. Love the last picture of you gazing at your cat as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N'aww thank you Abigail! He's the sweetest ever! I know you are familiar with such a love for a furry baby! :-)

      Delete
  2. That black berry roly poly looks fantastic! I will definitely need to get that recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is delicious! You can find the recipe at my food blog!

      Delete
  3. Like Abigail, I love the last photo of you and your cat!
    And funny how different one can think of "an enormous haul". The flea markets here in Switzerland aren't that fruitful when it comes to beautiful and pre-WWII things for reasonable prices, though still better than the german ones, where I am already lucky finding a non-commercial seller amongst all those battery-, cell-phone- and cheap t-shirt-stalls.
    I don't know why, but dutch flea markets are so different from all the others. I spent every childhood holiday in the north of the Netherlands, and the flea markets were always my favourite place to go. Unfortunately my interests as a child differed much from todays, so I am sure I missed an enormous lot of things I would love to own today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your last picture, so cute and peacefull!!!
    I would love to go back to the Netherlands for some flea markets....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My word, that blackberry cake looks marvelous!!! Such a great hit of vitamins, too, to perk one up during the long, often sunshine-less days of winter. It's always a pleasure to see the scrumptious meals you whip up, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images