The Cookbook of the Stars

January 24, 2014


On my cookery blog ( The wartime diet ) I already mentioned that I am going to change the content of it. At first, I only cooked wartime ration recipes following the Ration Book Diet book - a diet that helps you lose weight and which is also a very healthy diet. Why? Because most of the recipes contain alot of vegetables and fruit that people used to grow in their own Victory gardens. Sugars and meats were rationed and, not too long ago, it has been proven that too much meat in your diet is not quite healthy. Funny fact: the Britons were at their healthiest during wartime. You might think that following a ration diet might be dull and some boring recipes probably come to your mind when you think about it. Nothing is less true. It's a challenge and quite an experience; tasty ingrediënts and combinations you've never heard of but which are very tasty! However, I wanted more than ration recipes only! For my birthday, I received alot of old cookery books and I already owned a couple of cookbooks from the 1930s and 1940s myself, filled with recipes I was eager to cook but relucant to put online, as it didn't fit the content of my blog and might dissapoint my readers who are looking for wartime ration recipes. But so far, most of them were approving and happy to see some other recipes, too. I mean, who doesn't love glamorous Hollywood recipes?


My favorite cookbook is the Hollywood Glamour Cookbook for Health and Beauty written by Mariposa - who was an actress in the 1920s - and those who follow me on my cookery blog know, that most recipes that I posted came from that book and are, in no way, a ration recipe considering the heaps of sugar being used. The book dates from the 1940s and America at that time hadn't participated in war yet and didn't had to deal with a ration system yet. The book learns you alot about healthy foods and what is best to combine and what not to cut a healthy figure.

Because Ben and I are living the 1930s more than we live the 1940s, I also want to include recipes from that era. Most of my cookbooks date from the 1930s, so I decided to change title and content of my cookery blog. I will post recipes from the 1920s till the 1940s which also means that I won't quit cooking and posting ration recipes. Besides this all, you know my fascination for Old Hollywood and it's not a surprise that I enjoy cooking from cookbooks that has anything to do with Old Hollywood! Yesterday, the postman brought me a package with anóther cookbook of the Hollywood stars! And this has alót of tasty recipes, I can tell ya! Yesterday I cooked my first recipe with it; Mushrooms stuffed with deviled crab. My, that was delicious and so easy to prepare! You can find the recipe here. It's an amazing book and I wanted to show it to you!




I am still pondering what design I will give my cookery blog ánd I am trying to find a new name for it. As soon as it's changed I will announce it here, too! I would love to see you there! 

You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. So neat that it includes pictures of the stars cooking! I just love that. This is quite neat and I will have to check out your other blog. I enjoy all aspects of vintage history, including food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously cool! I've been collecting vintage (mostly 1930s-50s) cookbooks and booklets for many years now and will be adding this fabulous gem to my wishlist right away (I just checked and the only copy on eBay that I could find at the moment is $150 + $35 shipping to Canada, so this is definitely a major wishlist item for me). Thank you for the glamorous introduction.

    Have a terrific weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is incredible inspiring, the photographs are gorgeous!

    Miss Beta

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images