Oh just to get rid of boredom ...

January 06, 2014

To kill time this morning I stumbled upon a questionnaire whilst scrolling the Tumblr dashboard. When I was in my teens, I did nothing else than answering every questionnaire that crossed my path, as you do. This was for the dutch website CU2. A silly website, really, and I am long gone there. Thank goodness me.

I picked a 'few' random questions about, some hopefully interesting and others most likely not. But mayhap you get to know me a little bit better. Let's go!



What's your favorite world to escape to whilst day dreaming? You might think that I am going to say, now, the 1930s and 1940s. But that is not the case. Cause my 1930s lifestyle is not an escapism but more 'me bringing back the good old times to pair with the good things anno now'. In a way, ofcourse, it is an escapism but I am living it every day. My world of escaping, is the one of Tolkien. But also the game World of Warcraft. Folklore and fantasy. In particular the Elven world (the elven world in World of Warcraft is inspired by Art Nouveau architecture - go check out Silvermoon City. By the way ... coming to think of it: Tolkien wrote 'The Hobbit' in the 1930s!

What instruments can/ would you want to play? The Ukelele! I am, sadly, not gifted with the talent to play musical instruments. I think the triangle is as far as I can get but I would love to learn how to play the Ukelele. My boyfriend, in contrast of me, is extremely musical gifted. He can play all sorts of instruments: accoustic guitar, electric guitar, violin, piano, cello, pan flute, fife, ukelele - but he plays the accoustic guitar the best. On his accoustic guitar he can play a piano, drums, cello, violin and several others and sometimes it seems a whole band is playing but it's him solely on his accoustic guitar. He's learning me how to play the Ukelele. I am grateful for his patience.


What is your favorite hot beverage? This used to be Glühwein in a time I still drank alcohol. Nowadays it's hot milk with anise before retiring to bed. But tea in the afternoon, with honey.


What is (one of) your favorite poem(s)? The Lady of Shalott by Lord Alfred Tennyson.


What's your bedroom like? Our bedroom is a funny one. We live in a house of 1330 and which was a bakery in 1902. Our bedroom was the storage room so it has a low ceiling. My boyfriend is very tall (he stands 6'3") and because the house is so old, it's skewed and my boyfriend can't stand straight everywhere. It has low windows and niches and a very tiny door in a wall that has been bricked long before we came to live there. It has autographs of Hollywood actresses from the 1930s and 1940s hanging in frames on the wall.


What’s your most outstanding personality point? My temperament and my huge strength to cope with hard and difficult things. But speaking about my temperament; I love to discuss and something inside of me always wants to jump into one whenever there's a chance. But at the other hand, I am deadly shy ... so when I lash out to someone I also crawl back with the tail between my legs afraid of the answer. It's an everlasting fight ;-)


What's your morning ritual? Waking up early (I don't like to wake up late) and then wash the nightcream off my face with ice cold (painfully cold) rose water and apply daycream, make a pot of hot steaming coffee - and boyfriend makes breakfast - and then we eat together. After that I take 2 or 3 more cups of coffee and read the newspaper.


Which do you prefer: a museum, a night club, the forest or a library? Everything but the nightclub. There was a time (when I was 20/21) that I went to one almost everyday with my two best friends Jeroen and Jeffrey - and be fresh and fruity the next day for school. And although I will treasure those memories, cause really we had some fun, I don't like going out. The forest I like the most of the bunch. I like nature and I like it alot.

What is something most people don’t know about you? Something that happened in my late teens/early twenties. I have a hard time talking about it; I have had EMDR for this trauma but it was too heavy to cope with. This year, I want to pick it up again and hopefully it'll work.

What was the last YouTube video you watched?  The inteview with Christina Crawford (Joan Crawford's daughter) about the child abuse she had to endure. We watched this after watching the movie 'Mommie Dearest'.  I know that many of you do not believe that Joan Crawford abused her two eldest adopted kids. But I am still not so sure. There are certain things, in Christina's behaviour, that clearly indicates child abuse. If she lied ... I am beyond words.


What’s a spelling/grammar pet peeve you have?  Ugh, I have mány! But they are Dutch grammar mistakes.




Are you confrontational? Yes very much. If I see injustice I react immediately and if I don't like something, I lash out, too.

If your house was on fire and you had sixty seconds to leave, what would you take with you? My cat, obviously. I am afraid of a fire, really, and I have his travel basket at hand just in case - always.


What’s something that you don’t like that everyone else seems to like? Brad Pitt. David Beckham in his underwear spots, monkeys. Oh ... and the word 'selfie'.


What bad habits do you have? I am impatient. Sometimes a little childish and unreasonable.


What makes you angry the most about the world today? That we are destroying the world and eachother. I am very close to not read the newspaper anymore cause all I read are murders and abused animals.


What is your favorite quote and why? "If you could only see ... the beauty that can come from ashes". It's from the movie with my hero Nick Vujicic "The butterfly circus". The man is my hero for a long time already; he has no limbs and the way he faces life is magnificent. Listen to his speeches and it will change your whole point of view. He has a great sense of humor, too. You'll love him!


Anyway, the reason why this quote is my favorite, is because I have experienced alot of things that turned to ashes - tragic experiences that have put my world upside down. That have wounded and scarred me. That might be sad but they learned me valuable lessons, either about myself, other people or situations. In the end it makes me grow stronger, resembling the phoenix who reborns from the ashes of it's predecessor. You have to try to get something positive out of negative things in order to survive. It's not always easy.


The second quote that is my favorite, is also from Nick Vujicic's movie Butterfly Circus. It says: The greater the struggle, the more glorious the triumph. This speaks for itself I think.The movie, by the way, is a short one of only 20 minutes and can be found on Youtube. The movie is set in the Great depression of the 1930s. I highly recommend it. It will left you teary-eyed and speechless and above all, it might learn you a valuable lesson! Go see it: The Butterfly Circus.

Who is your hero, do you have more than one? I certainly have more people I look up to. I already mentioned Nick Vujicic for one. Jeannie Gunn aswell, the Australian novelist of the autobiographical novel 'We of the Never Never' written in 1908, where she describes her experiences as the only woman in a tough man's world in Mataranka, Northern Territory. A woman in that world was unheard of and she was scrutinized by the men who worked there, yet she kept at her husbands side. She also became active in welfare work in WWI. Another on the list is Geoffrey Wellum, a British battle of Britain fighter pilot (flying my favorite plane the Spitfire) and author. Also on the list is Irena Sendler; a Polish nurse/social worker who served in the Polish underground during WWII. She smuggled 2,500 Jewish children out of the Warsaw ghetto. Saving those children during the Holocaust. The Nazi's discovered her activities, tortured her and sentenced her to death. But Irena managed to evade execution and survived the war. There's a movie made about her you should see! It's called The courageous heart of Irena Sendler. Irena is played by Anna Paquin.


What pushes you to be better? Perfectionism and creativity.


Favorite architectural style? Art Deco



You Might Also Like

9 Comments

  1. I was a big fan of questionnaires as a teenager, too. I think that's part of the reason I really like getting blog awards to this day that include similar sets of questions to the engaging ones that you answered here. As always, it was lovely to learn even more about you, honey.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first picture looks devine^^
    Loved reading about you - I always think it's nice to get to know someone a little better^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found you a few days ago, and it's so nice to learn more about you so quickly. I showed my husband your blog and he read over it. He said we sounded like sisters separated at birth. I told him that we vintage ladies , I like saying ladies that choose to love nostalgically usually have a lot in common. My husband says if more men were smart they would seek out these ladies. He says we are smart, beautiful, and have the confidence to know he we want to live our lives, and the follow through to do it. I also have vintage movie stars framed in my dressing room and bathroom, a framed,autographed Vivian Leigh ( to my grandmother) on dressing table. I admire Airena and Corrie Ten Boom. Does your boyfriend ever dress vintage? My hubby does , not all the time , because of his work. Dr. Hubby stuck in scrubs a lot . For office hours we hade copies made of some beautiful 1940's suits. Ns he wears a long coat and a hat, not some puffed up jacket with yucky synthetic fur? Around giant hood, and proper hat. He has many hats, fedoras etc... No baseball caps unless he's playing or coaching little league . I feel so lucky to have a supportive husband and children. My girls and friends love it, I always have an assembly line at my house on dance nights, doing
    Hair & makeup . Some people it bothers, and that hurts because I like to please people. My mother in law hates it, says it's to shoe off, draw attention etc. my mom isn't a big fan,when it was once in a while she was okay, but she does t agree with me and my family living this way. My grandparents who really raised me,lived with them until I went away to dance school, would love it, I grew up listening to their music and stories about prohibition , depression, ww2 , nursing, model t fords etc.. They were born in1911&14they graduated high school in 1929 and:32. So, I got to hear it all.Maybe they are a part of why I love these eras , their eras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my boyfriend dresses nostalgic everyday! We are quite the couple when we walk the streets haha!

      I am jealous of your Vivien Leigh autograph! Still trying to hunt down one of hers. Today I received Carole Landis as a birthday present from my boyfriend. It's beautiful!

      Delete
  4. Dear Lindsay, it's wonderful to know you a little more. I just would like to add some words of courage to you. Don't let the giant (of the past) to defeat you, I know you're strong and you'll fight this giant bravely and one day you'll triumph. I'm glad to know you even if just online. You are a beautiful person!

    Miss Beta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words, they are very much appreciated! I felt a little down today but your words gave me a smile. So thank you, really!

      Delete
  5. I was also a fan of quizzes in my teens and twenties. I confess I still do the odd one here and there, especially if it is nostalgic related. Thanks for sharing. It's always a pleasure to read your blog Lindsay, such a classy lady! xx

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images