Memorable Hollywood movie star quotes

January 09, 2014

I like quotes very much and I live by and learn from them most of the time. On my public Facebook page (which you can find here) I post, every now and then, some quotes of famous Hollywood movie stars. I thought it would be fun to share some memorable quotes here aswell!

Hedy Lamarr
"All a woman needs is a good bath, clean clothes, and for her hair to be combed. These things she can do herself. I very seldom go to the hairdresser, but when I do, I just marvel."

Lana Turner
"Humor has been the balm of my life, but it's been reserved for those close to me, not part of the public Lana."

Gary Cooper
"The general consensus seems to be that I don't act at all."

Ginger Rogers
"When two people love each other, they don't look at each other, they look in the same direction."

Robert Taylor
"It's been my goal to work as much as possible, and be as unknown as possible."

Jean Harlow
"Underwear makes me uncomfortable and besides my parts have to breathe."

Rita Hayworth
"We are all tied to our destiny and there is no way we can liberate ourselves."

Veronica Lake
"I will have one of the cleanest obits of any actress. I never did cheesecake like Ann Sheridan or Betty Grable. I just used my hair."

David Niven
"Keep the circus going inside you, keep it going, don't take anything too seriously, it'll all work out in the end."

Ann Sheridan
"They nicknamed me "The Oomph Girl", and I loathe that nickname! Just being known by a nickname indicates that you're not thought of as a true actress . . . It's just crap! If you call an actress by her looks or a reaction, then that's all she'll ever be thought of as. "

James Stewart
"When it came to kissing, Harlow was the best."

Rosalind Russell
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."

Fay Wray
"I would say the secret is to be enthusiastic about everything that comes into your life. To care, to care about people. To be excited about everything that comes close to you. I love to read. And I love to write, mostly."

Olivia de Havilland
"Famous people feel that they must perpetually be on the crest of the wave, not realising that it is against all the rules of life. You can't be on top all the time, it isn't natural."

Norma Shearer
"It is impossible to get anything made or accomplished without stepping on some toes; enemies are inevitable when one is a doer."

Errol Flynn
"The public has always expected me to be a playboy, and a decent chap never lets his public down."

Vivien Leigh
"I'm not a film star, I am an actress. Being a film star is such a false life, lived for fake values and for publicity."

Joan Crawford
"I need sex for a clear complexion, but I'd rather do it for love."

Marilyn Monroe
"A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night."

Clark Gable
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."

Betty Grable
"With the man the world is his heart, with the woman the heart is her world."

Danielle Darrieux
"The stage takes more from your life in three hours of work than one whole day in the film studio. On stage, you are a prisoner, even though it is a lovely prison."

Marlene Dietrich
"I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself."




You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. Fantastic post, Lindsay dear. I'm very much a fan of quotes, especially from mid-century folks (be they from Hollywood's ranks or otherwise) and absolutely adored this whole diverse, engaging selection. Bookmarking for sure! :)

    Have a beautiful weekend,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quotes like this! So happy to have found your new blog! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post My favourite quotes were from Joan Crawford and Danielle Darrieux (I work in theatre!)

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images