La Dormeuse

January 26, 2014


Impressionism and perfectionism are not on the same page ...

I grew up with art and it thrives in both sides of the family; my father aswell as my grandfather (who are not father and son) are terrific painters. I love art exhibitions and musea with galleries filled to brim with famous paintings (my favorite exhibition so far was Mucha during my vacation in Prague) and paintings fascinate me thoroughly ... though, frankly, I am very picky with the art I like. There's not much that I think of as magnificent, so to speak. But there is one painter that catches my interest - everytime again!  

I think almost everyone knows the wonderful painting pictured above: 'La Dormeuse' painted by Tamara de Lempicka in 1931 - 1932. I have admired the works of the glamorous Art Deco painter for quite sometime now and I thought it would be quite fun to recreate one of her paintings (in this case my favorite 'La Dormeuse' which means 'The Sleeper') through the photographers eye. And so I did. 

There was a moment that I regretted my inventive, artsy idea to some degree: I noticed that the shapes of impressionism are not on the same page with my perfectionism. I desperately tried to compose myself in the same position as the sleeping woman. That is not so easy as it might seem. 'Sleeping' comfortable was out of the question anyway; as I have twisted my limbs and muscles as best as I could. I had to try and make my expression look comfortable enough that it seemed as if I were long gone to (day)dreamland instead of a painful smirk. 

But I am not one that quits easily, so here I present you my rendition of 'La Dormeuse'!


(Note: people kept asking me if I painted myself but I can assure you that this is a photo of me and not a painting!)




You Might Also Like

14 Comments

  1. That is amazing! I almost thought it was a painting!! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That means I did well :-)

      Delete
  2. I think that's a fantastic work! I know how difficult it is to translate certain paintings into photographs. Because perspective and light are many times painted in a different way from real world...and sometimes almost impossible to recreate. I've done it when done my Master degree, I know is hard. And I think you have reached very close! I dare to say it's a "impressionist" photo! :-)

    Miss Beta x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetheart! It was terribly painful but so much fun to do! Next time (cause there is coming a next time) I'll be picking an easier painting.

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful! I love love love it. Awesome job. I too have problems with perfectionism vs. impressionism, so (I've found that when I paint/draw I try to do something made up by me because it becomes a chore when its supposed to be impressionistic). But I love this painting and you did it exceedingly well. I can't wait to see your others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just hit me! Dormeuse is why the Dormouse in Alice in Wonderland is so sleepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! You're right! I never thought of that aswell!

      Delete
  5. Let me add you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling, this is breathtaking. :)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredibly lovely and so very, very well executed. Inspiringly wonderful work, my dear.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images