Hollywood glamour photography

January 02, 2014

Marlene Dietrich by George Hurrell (what a stúnning headpiece, don't you agree?)


I don't have to tell you that I love, love, love old Hollywood glamour photography; you only have to look at the many portraits of myself that I share with you on this blog ( and I promise you that I am not narcissistic ;-) )! I love the angles, color, composition, but above al the lightning. George Hurrell is one of my favorites and ofcourse the best and most famous glamour photographer. His portrait of Marlene Dietrich on top of this post is one of my favorites.

George Hurrell behind the scenes

Ben and I collect real, authentic autographs of Hollywood stars from the 1930s and 1940s and we combine the autographs with their glamour portrait in a frame. They are hanging in the bedroom and inspire me in the morning when I wake up to be glamorous everyday. I love to recreate glamour portraits and capacitate myself in this skill. I study these portraits carefully and look at the poses, makeup and clothing. But more important; lightning. On the internet there are many studio tips and setups. Also the retouche is an important factor in these photographs. Shown below; a retouche by George Hurrell on Joan Crawford.


I wanted to share with you a couple of Hollywood glamour portraits that are my favorites and of which I think are real masterpieces. Not in specific order.

Grace Kelly photographed by Loomis Dean, 1954.
Hedy Lamarr by Laszlo Willinger, 1940
Ann Sheridan by George Hurrell
Carole Lombard by Ernest Bachrach, 1939
Vivien Leigh for Paramount Pictures
(If you enlarge the photo you can see the original lines of her stomach which has been retouched)
Vivien Leigh by Angus McBean

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

  1. Those portraits are so beautiful! They contain so much glamour etc.
    And I also love your portraits, they are so 'realistic', sometimes I really think that they are originally from the 30s and 40s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These images are so very resplendent! It's not every day that I see a vintage related blog post that I know Tony (my husband) would love as well, but this one will appeal to the photographer in him a great deal, so I'm off to send the link his way. Thank you for writing and putting it together, honey, it's gorgeous (and so inspiring!).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photographs, really enjoyed this post. The bits about retouching were interesting too, shows it is not just a Photoshop era thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous post and beautiful pictures. I wonder how long it took them to retouch those pictures back in the days. Nowaday with Photoshop it's no big deal^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could easily take 8 hours!

      Delete
  5. I love the high contrast between dark and light. Make these starlets glaze even more. Stunning photographs!

    Miss Beta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very much pleased with the post. I want to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates.
    Clipping Path Experts

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images