Gowns by Adrian

January 18, 2014



Not too long ago I watched for the 2nd time the movie 'The Women' (1939). The movie is seen these days as rather misogynistic because of how the women in the movie are portrayed. I quite liked the catty fights, bitchy and sarcastic quotes. The movie is made by women and the cast is also entirely excisting of women only. No man to be spotted or even heard. Also the animals shown in the intro ... are female. I liked the movie alot and especially Rosalind Russell made me crack in her role as Sylvia Fowler! A witty movie that would drive men nuts if they have to watch it. What I also liked, was the fact that the whole movie was in black and white but that the fashion parade - filled to the brim with beautiful women's fashion (as you'd expect in a woman's film) - was entirely in technicolor. Now we came to a point I'd like to discuss in today's post! Because the fashion (beside the latest, fashionable color in nailpolish - jungle red!!) was another thing that I liked alót in The Women!

"I've had two years to grow claws mother - jungle red"

It was designed by costume designer Adrian, whose most famous designs were for The Wizard of Oz and other Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer films during the 1930s and 1940s. Adrian designed costumes for over 250 films and his screen credit usually read "Gowns by Adrian".

Adrian worked with the bigger stars out there in Hollywood such as: Joan Crawford, Jean Harlow, Norma Shearer and Greta Garbo - to name only but a few. Adrian was also the one behind the signature outfits of Joan Crawford; the outfits with the large shoulderpads which later spawned into a fashion trend.

Adrian is one of my favorite Hollywood designers for his extravagant style; his gowns come to mind when I think about Old Hollywood's fashion. I want to show you some of my favorite designs of his!

Jean Harlow in 'Dinner at Eight' (1933)

Hedy Lamarr in Ziegfeld girl (1941)

Paulette Goddard in 'The Women' (1939)

Joan Crawford in Dancing Lady (1933)

Joan Crawford, 1932

Jean Harlow in Dinner at Eight, 1933

Norma Shearer in Idiot's delight (1939)

Anita Louise as Princesse de Lamballe in Marie Antoinette (1938)

Norma Shearer as Marie Antoinette in Marie Antoinette (1938)

Rosalind Russell in the Women (1939)

Greta Garbo in Mata Hari (1931)



You Might Also Like

5 Comments

  1. I'll take one of each, pretty please! :) Seriously though, as over-the-top as some of these amazing gowns and ensembles may be, they're all so exquisitely gorgeous, highly detailed, and expertly constructed that it's hard for any mid-century vintage lover not to want to slip into any one of them (I'd especially love to have Hedy's star bedecked gown - swoon!!!).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hedy's one is my utmost favorite and I hope I can re-create it some way, somehow, someday!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! thanks so much for the wonderful pictures *swoon*
    I really like what you have on here! You've gained a new follower :)
    Keep it up
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Abigail! I discovered yours today and you, too, have gained a new follower! I read that you are relatively new in writing blogs! I am sure you will do a wonderful job! Welcome! :-)

      Delete
  3. The sheer, the lace, the feathers... oh!
    These images are representing the best of the best of the era. They are the reason so many get drawn to the ages (and folks like yourself are the reason many of us remain in the era)

    Hug
    Marija

    P.S.
    Have I mentioned that I love, love, love what you've done with the place? :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images