My treasured 1930s ornaments

December 02, 2013

On request I decided to show you some of my treasured ornaments from my latest load. It appeared that my appetite for collecting old ornaments works highly contagious and that I inspired many a person to go check their own ornaments to see if they are as old as they thought they were. I am sorry if I have dissapointed people. As far as I am concerned I do not know anyone in my country that collects old ornaments, I am sure they are around, and hopefully I don't inspire people too much that they come and snatch old ornaments away, right in front of my nose ;-)! Nah, kidding ofcourse! 


Anyway, I must warn you that my knowledge of old ornaments stops at the 1950s - tops. The 1950s are a bit of a grey area to me. My expertise lies in the area of the 1920s/1930s/1940s but mainly the latter two! On the basis of photos, people are able to compare their ornaments with mine. So, here are my most treasured ones.

Want me to try and date your ornament?
I also got the question a couple of times if it's ok to send me photos of your collection to see if I can date them. That is fine with me! I love to see what you have but keep in mind that I can only date the item properly if I see it in real life. But I can always take a bet ofcourse :-). You can send me an email to my business mail: lindsay.lane@hotmail.com (but you can also send an e-mail directly to me and you can find it at the 'contact' part at the very bottom of this page).


These 1930s ornaments I found on the internet. I am a bit reluctant to buy old ornaments on the internet as I always want to feel the item and see it in real life to conclude whether something is old or not. With these I gambled a bit and trusted on my knowlegde from afar. Thank heavens I wasn't wrong. These are amazing and usually I am attracted to somewhat more garish colors for the tree but these appealed to me alot. 

This is a walnut that belonged to Ben's grandparents and which is from the 1930s also. This one is made with a mold. The red wool thread is also from the 1930s ;-). This ornament looks gold but it's silver.

A little figural; a violin from the 1930s. Also belonged to Ben's grandparents once. It clearly does not have it's original cap.

Another figural, another walnut, another one from the 1930s. This one isn't in mint condition anymore; it has a hole in it and will not be hanged in the tree. Obviously.

Two bells which also belonged to Ben's grandparents. These were bought for their wedding in 1938. These are so cute!

In my post of yesterday I could not find the right word for the little tip that is left behind after the glass blower cuts it off the cane of glass. It is called the Pontil/Pontil mark, which you can see at the bottom of this ornament. This one is also 1930s.

GDR - old to you, perhaps, but not to me!

Then something else: yesterday I was asked how I know for sure that the GDR (German Democratic Republic) ornaments are from the 1970s and/or newer. Well that's simple: I have payed attention during history lessons. In 1949, GDR was founded. Usually items from Germany said: Made in Germany. But with 'Made in Germany' alone there could not be made any distinction from what area it was (East or West). In 1974(!) after a court ruling, items from then on said Made in GDR or just GDR - or ofcourse made in DDR. That means that ornaments tagged GDR on the cap are from the period 1974 - 1990 (the time of the fall of the Berlin wall). Some consider this old ... well I don't. Old ornaments are, to me, from whatever period up until the 1960s. That's just my point of view!

This is what the GDR cap looks like.


Now it's time to grab a cup of velvet tea and search for some 1930s and 1940s Christmas recipes!

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. These ornaments are so pretty! And the little pine cones have such lovely colours. Beautiful little treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes aren't they! But larger than you would expect by the way haha!

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images