Christmas ornaments: real or repro?

December 19, 2013


Before I begin with telling how many well reproduced ornaments are out there on the market and on the antiquary shelves and how to spot them ( because you do not want to bring them home ), I wanted to show you my new load that we got yesterday. We got a call from a recycle store that there was a new load and we picked it up. We got the ornaments with 50% discount; that's the result of showing your face there every once a week and make a social chat. We also drank a cup of coffee with the owner of the 1930s museum who was very enthusiastically telling about his collection of antique Christmas ornaments. We planned to go there earlier but due to illness that struck me (yes there is something awefully wrong with my immune system; me being so frequently ill), we had to cancel it. But we will visit him next week - he was very glad that we had such a big interest and we are more than pleased to go. The museum is settled near our hometown. A museum that is specialized in costume and toys of the 1930s, but around Christmas time the owner shows his amazing Christmas collection (among all the amazing stuff a réally old feather tree!!). He might be willing to sell, so you can imagine that my heart skipped a beat when hearing that.

We have found a new address that we will visit tomorrow, so yes, tomorrow more photos of more loot.

Now let me show you the new loot!

(These give you a clear example of not being painted under the cap - read more below).
We have hanged dried oranges in the tree now, I had to show you! It's easily and smells amazing. I can recommend it to people who have a cat that loves to climb the tree, cats hate oranges and it keeps them away from the tree. My cat didn't interest himself in the tree but I used the oranges because I think it's lovely.

(The two colorful pineapples next to the bauble (which is 1930s) are 1950s and I have taken these home for an ornament wreath I am making with 1950s ornaments)


Recognizing fake ornaments ...
You would be surprised how many Christmas ornaments are out there being sold by and to antique stores that are faker than fake but which are claimed and sold as antique. It might shock you cause it's alot! And quite frankly; the people who are selling and making these ornaments know how to reproduce them very well - they look indeed atleast 80 years old. For example; they make sure the paint is flaked, they use old caps or clips on the reproduced ornaments and so forth.

You want to avoid the fake ones obviously.

I have a couple of easy tips for you that you can keep in the back of your mind when thrifting for antique ornaments (better not or send them to me teehee!)!

- If the ornament is silver and the silver is too bright and clean it is most likely fake.

- Look under the cap if it's painted all the way under; this means it is 99% of the time a fake. Old ornaments were rarely painted all the way under the cap. The pike was almost always left unpainted and the area should be dark from oxidation/age of the silvering. This is a great indicator that shows if the ornaments are old and usually the first thing I look for.

- The glass of the old ornaments is paper thin and have barely any weight to them at all. The newer ornaments have thicker glass and are heavier. By the way: with newer balls I mean 1950s and newer and with old balls I mean 1940s and older.

- If you collect Kugels; see if it has a pike. If it does then it's new. Antique kugels don't have a pike.

You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. Such terrifically pretty ornaments! I love that you have a shop (shops?) in your area that will call you when they have pieces like this that they think you'd adore. That's awesome!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images