Recipe: Honey date ice cream

November 22, 2013



Stirring, stirring, stirring .... 

I barely share recipes here cause I have my other blog for that ( The Wartime (Ration) Diet; hop over cause I have some tasty, authentic recipes to share) but I was so proud of myself for bringing this ice cream recipe to a good end that I simply hád to share this here. Plus, I think I have some ice cream aficionados in my readers list, haven't I?

I have worked really hard on this recipe as I didn't had the right tools, like the double boiler for example. This au bain marie cooking is a real torture!!! But in the end it was totally worth it! I had the radio playing some old, lovely tunes and my boyfriends company, this made I didn't mind at all that I was stirring, stirring, stirring, stirring myself dead until I got that au bain marie cooking process complete. We enjoyed this ice cream after a nice grill dish which you can find on my wartime blog.

Ingrediënts ...
What do you need (to do)?
  • ¼ cup of honey
  • ½ cup of dates (unsulphured) shredded and chopped
  • 1 pint rich milk, scalded
  • 6 or 8 egg yolks
  • 1 pint cream
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Drop the egg yolks in a bowl, stir in the honey. Scald the milk (remove from heat before it boils) and add egg yolks, very slowly, stirring constantly. Place in double boiler (or like I did two saucepans on top of eachother) and continue stirring. Keep just under boiling point and when a custard consistency is reached, remove from flame and allow to cool, continue stirring until lukewarm, then fold in the dates, cream and flavouring. Place in your (ice cream) freezer.


Depression era glass ...

I collect depression era glass in all the colors available. Ben inherited a complete set of yellow depression era glass from his grandparents aswell as a green fruitbowl, but recently we spotted another set in a red color in a recycle store in Zutphen. It was a bit on the pricey side thus we left it behind. But it didn't quite left my mind and today we bought a couple of items from it; a bowl, two plates and dessert cups (we used them for the ice cream as you can see)! I am smitten with it.


You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. *Shoots hand up in the air eagerly!* You definitely have one in me! I adore ice cream all year round, not just when the mercury is bubbling away, and am always game to try a new flavour combination like this elegant one. Many thanks for another stellar recipe, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lindsay, this ice-cream looks wonderfully delicious. I certainly like honey and has a beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images