Goodbye Norma Jeane

August 05, 2013


On this day 51 years ago at 4:25 early in the morning the official call from Marilyn's psychiatrist was received, saying that Marilyn Monroe had died. Marilyn was found in the nude with the phone in her hand in her home in Brentwood, Los Angeles, California. She died from an overdose of barbiturates; only 36 years old.

 To this day, this remarkable and timeless woman is still admired by many for her talent, her beauty, her loveliness and her enormous sense of humor. Thank you for everything Marilyn!

"Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did".

June 1, 1926 – August 5, 1962


“I am ‘M.M.’ I am not permitted problems, nervousness, humanness, blunders, mistakes . . . and my own thoughts.”

"I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent"

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best".

I knew I belonged to the public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else. 

I am involved in a freedom ride protesting the loss of the minority rights belonging to the few remaining earthbound stars. All we demanded was our right to twinkle. 

"I never wanted to be Marilyn - it just happened. Marilyn is like a veil I wear over Norma Jeane".

I'm one of the world's most self-conscious people. I really have to struggle.

- Marilyn Monroe


You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. My goodness, even though I wasn't born yet (and wouldn't be for many more years to come), one can't help but be taken aback a bit by the fact that more than half a century has transpired since Marilyn passed. Thank you for honoring her memory in this lovely post.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post & great articles. She was one in a million. There has not been another to replace her. Love VV xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. R.I.P. dear, dear blonde!

    Some time ago I came across this:
    "According to eyewitnesses, August 4, 1962 was a pretty typical day in Marilyn's life. Pat Newcomb, her press agent, recalled that Marilyn, apparently, did not sleep well and was a bit annoyed. Monroe spent most of her day with her psychiatrist, Dr. Ralph Greenson, who noted a distinct change in the state of the actress, and explained it with Nembutal (a barbiturate). In the evening Joe DiMaggio visited her to discuss termination of his engagement and their possible reunion."

    There went a shining star.. gone.
    She is still missed.
    But, she still shines.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images