My passion for bygone era fashion ... a tad obsessed?

July 17, 2013

My  daytime schedule is filled for 70% doing surveys on the fashion of the 1930s and 1940s, when I am not busy with módelling 1930s and 1940s fashion! I am sure it does not come as a surprise that it are those two era's my heart is reaching out to. I've mentioned them too much on my blogspot as my favorites and my favorites only. It's my passion and, during heavy episodes of depression when I am not the sunny, enthousiastic person I can be, fashion is swallowing me thoroughly and it makes me almost forget my suffering. It's an escapism I think. I have talked with my therapist many times about this subject, if this lifestyle of mine, being a nostalgic, is applied to forget that I live in 2013 with all of it's horrors (in my opinion: every era has it's advantages and disadvantages and I never lost that point out of sight though!) or, he asked, if I really like dressing up in old fashioned clothing. And I always answer with the latter, though I am aware that ofcourse it will always be a bit of an escapism from the cruel place the world has become these modern days. This fashion does not only fit my lifestyle but it is just darn beautiful and while wearing those pieces of history; it's just as if I came home after a long journey, everytime again. When my therapist saw me for the very first time, a couple of years ago, he said that it was as if I was plucked from a silver screen Hollywood film and this compliment (to me it really is!) is said to me by many, often, and it's the biggest compliment I can ever get. Then, on those moments ... there is that girly childlike dream of me popping up again to become a 1930s Hollywood starlet. Not that it will ever happen ofcourse, but I keep on dreaming and throughout photoshoots and my small roles in movie fragments, I try to come as close as I can get. People in my hometown have already baptized me 'that black and white movie queen'! You will see me beaming with pride if someone says that to me, but also you'll see me, being very modest, as I can hardly believe that they speak the truth.

Image source: 1940s definitive sourcebook

But ... back to the topic! It cheers me up to find new and, to me, unknown information about a garment here or there. If you are a Pinterest follower of me, you'll often come across tons of pictures containing bygone era fashion on Pinterest's home page, that I pin onto the section 'My Style', wishing - with my fingers crossed - that some of these lovely frocks, shoes, coats or evening dresses will end up in my already-way-to-full-wardrobe.

I want to know éverything about the fashions of those two era's, so I'll always get my paws on every book containing information about it - preferably books that have been written in those era's itself and I devour the information as if it's a bowl (or two) filled Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice . Most of the information is nothing new to me, so it always makes me jump for joy if I found new information on particulate garbs or whatsoever. My latest fashion resource book addition, which is completely dedicated to fashion of the forties, is simply dee-vine. It's the book I posted about in my previous Instagram blogpost; the definitive sourcebook of the 1940s fashion - it's a very heavy and thick book. The thicker, the better! I knew this book had to be good as I already own the 1930s equivalent for quite a while and I have been leafing through those pages for months, looking at every detail of the garbs shown. I get so much satisfaction from these books and I am pondering if I should buy the 1920s version aswell, even though the 1920s do not appeal to me as much as the 1930s and 1940s. Perhaps so because the fashion of the 20s makes me look like a potatoe sack!

Image source: 1940s definitive sourcebook

The marvelous LottyBlue asked me recently on my Facebook page:
"Fill in the blank .... I love vintage because ___________ ?"

My answer?
"Each piece tells a history of it's own. Beside that; I love it because it's just darn beautiful and fits my lifestyle. Clothing then was made to last and I love it for its femininity."

And that describes in a nutshell what I love vintage for. It's just coming home after a long journey when I doll myself up in a frock from either the thirties or forties.

Image source: 1940s definitive sourcebook
(I really need to try this hairstyle very soon! I love the idea of the scarf in the hair!)


Image source: 1940s definitive sourcebook

What do you like só much about your favorite era? How much of your time does it consume?
Also, I would love to hear why you dress vintage!



You Might Also Like

6 Comments

  1. Hi Lindsay, I have an easy fix for your ohsession with 30s and 40s fashion. Which I love too. It's a website that shows museum collections all over the world. I owe the website and have recently launched it. It's a repository of vintage fashion all in one place, organized by decade and year. Have fun browsing through the dresses that will make you drool. The website is www.vintagefashionandart.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wauw! Wanda what a marvelous website. My compliments! Thanks so much for pointing this out to me!

      Delete
  2. What a soulful, immensely relatable post. I've been severely chronically ill since I was 18 and vintage (which I already loved prior to that - I've loved it for as far back as I have memories) has always been such a continual source of happiness, inspiration, diversion (from my health), and catharsis for me. I even titled my blog as I did because instead of merely being seen or labeled as chronically ill, I wanted to be defined in more positive terms, by something I adored, and so hence how the name Chronically Vintage came to be.

    Thank you for writing this, it truly strikes a chord with me and my own important relationship with vintage.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much wonderful lady for this comment! It means alot to me. I never related 'chronically' to your illness obviously, but more that you will be forever, chronically, attached to vintage which most likely will go on for the rest of your life!? You love it from such a young age already, just like me! I, for one, cannot think of a life without vintage where I'll be dressing myself with sneakers, jeans and just a t-shirt. Vintage/Nostalgia is my lifestyle. So from that point of view I am chronically entwined with vintage and thought you meant it that way too! I always loved your blog name, but knowing the reason behind it now, that strikes a chord with me!

      Thank you again! You are such an inspiration to me!
      xx

      Delete
  3. I think that as long as you are aware that the past wasn't perfect, then it is perfectly fine. :) I have had Goth friends who has loved everything vampire- but they never fancied themselves being vampires. Or, for that matter, people who immerese themselves with the 18th century without losing sight of what that time period severly lacked, like proper health care. Perhaps it is a bit original to love the past with a passion, but in my view people who are fanatcial of sports is quite odd, though soceity in general seems to find it quite normal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well just as I said: every era has it's advantages and disadvantages. The thirties suffered the great depression and people lived in poverty. Nothing fancy about that (though it learns you a lot as I know from experience. I have lived in poverty for a while in my life) and at the end of the 30's a war was lurking around the corner to strike in the forties. Nothing fancy about that, too. However, this era has it's disadvantages, too, alot even, and I think nowadays the world gets more crazy day by day. I read newspapers but wonder sometimes why I am doing it, cause all that's important apparently are celebrities tweeting intimate photos or Bieber who spit a DJ in the face, which does not interest me at all. And the other half of the messages contain: woman killed here, man slaughtered there, children abducted, father kills family, young boy murders parents, mall shooter here, mall shooter there ... you name it. And it frightens me that we grow crazier, it seems, day by day.

      I think internet has a great deal to do with that. Something that did not excist in the above mentioned era's. But I don't need to tell you that. Things were simpler when internet and mobile phones did not excist. But unfortunately the world can't live without it anymore as most of the things go via the internet these days.

      But no, I don't forget that the past wasn't perfect and I don't romanticize it. Every era had advantages and disadvantages. That's something to keep in mind.

      Delete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images