Viva magazine

January 11, 2013

A couple of months ago I was approached by an interviewer of Viva magazine if I wanted to give an interview and do a photo reportage about me being a nostalgist. Ofcourse I said yes. I enjoyed the photoshoot with photographer Wout Jan Balhuizen tremendously and I think the result shows. A month later I did the interview. At first it would be published in the november issue but it was postponed to january.

Here's the result:

Translation:

Who: Lindsay Lane (26)
Profession: Vintagemodel and blogger at petticoatsandpinup.blogspot.nl 
Relation: with Ben (30), also nostalgist.
Style Icon: "Ginger Rogers, known from the dance movies with Fred Astaire. Sometimes people compare me to her and I think that's a compliment."
Shop adresses: Fleamarkets, recycle stores, Marktplaats, Ebay and Etsy.com
Favorite clothing piece: "The dress I am wearing on the photo. It's very flattering for my figure and fits me like a glove.
Does not want to be found dead in: Jeans.

That quote got also quoted on the cover of the magazine, see photo below. 
"Even with make-up Lindsay does not make it easy for herself: she only uses brands that already excisted in the 1930s."

Girlfriend from the war
"I was waiting for the bus some day and there was an old gentleman standing next to me. I felt he was watching at me. Suddenly he placed his hand on my arm and said: 'You look just as my beloved from the second world war.' It happens often that elder people get a flashback when they see me. I know that people audit me, but I actually don't see it anymore. I feel good in the clothes I am wearing."

Slim Waist.
"As a little child I breathlessly watched to the black and white movies on television. I thought of that world more beautiful than the era I was living in. I loved the glamour the actresses radiated. Especially the clothing I loved. The dresses fit like a glove on a women's body. In the 1940s the dresses had shoulder pads, which made your shoulders look broader and your waist automatically looks smaller. Gradually I began to dress like the actresses of that era."

Curlers
"Before I go to bed I put on my 1940s slip and I roll in my curlers. The following morning I brush my hair at my vanity table. Then I do my make up. I only use brands that already excisted in the 1930s, like Maybelline and Pond's. Aftewards I dress myself. I always wear a dress or a blouse with a skirt. Never a trouser, I don't feel comfortable in it. Every morning when I put on my vintage clothing pieces it feels like coming home. All of my dresses are really from that era, nothing in my wardrobe is new. Except for my underwear. I don't walk around in underwear of 80 years old". (Note from myself: I do wear 1940s reproduction underwear every day)

Hand wash
"I still live with my parents (note from me: my mother), but my partner and I are looking for a 1930s house. In the meantime we gather our trousseau together. We already have beautiful old chairs, old china, lamps and an old sewing machine. A tv does not come into our house and I was my clothing by hand in the sink. Ofcourse I've been raised with the comforts of the modern era, but if there was a timemachine with the counter on the 1930s I would get on board"

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

  1. Super! Ik ga hem kopen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wat lief! Ik hoop dat het je niet teleurgesteld heeft.

      Delete
  2. Love your pics. It must of been very exciting to do this. Love your pretty bag its so cute.
    Rosezeeta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks alot! It was very exciting indeed.

      Delete
  3. GORGEOUS!!!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely lovely :) You must be very proud, your style is such an inspiration!^^

    www.nancywilde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet of you to say! Thanks ever so!

      Delete
  5. Congrats! The photo is lovely.

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations darling!!! Those photos are so wonderful, you look gorgeous as always and you picked the most wonderful dress to wear for the shoot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that dress dearly. Thanks for your lovely compliments!

      Delete
  7. Oo how exciting! The photo is great and you look fabulous. Do you really do all your washing by hand though?! I am such a modern girl when it comes to domestic chores, I have a handwash cycle on my machine that's really gentle, so everything goes in there!

    Porcelina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do my laundry by hand, yes. With my dresses from the 1930s and 40s it's almost necessary. It happened to many times that my dresses shrunk on even the softest hand wash by the laundry machine.

      Delete
  8. Leuk stukje geworden. En een prachtige foto. Weer iets om trots op te zijn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, hartstikke bedankt voor de lieve complimenten!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! What a great interview - I'm quite a recent follower of yours so it's good to learn more about you as well! I love love love all your answers - you are such an inspiration for all new vintage ladies out there (including me!)

    Nora
    NoraFinds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so Nora, you really flatter me! Thanks for following me.

      Delete
  10. The dress you are wearing is gorgeous! Congratulations on the article :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. proficiaat!
    i tried to understand the text in dutch and then i realized that u were kind enough to traanslate it! loved the post

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images