Pretty hats are not good for my heart.

December 13, 2012

A week ago I was thrifting Ebay in search for a new hat from the thirties or forties. At page one my eye fell on a hat so pretty that I gasped and stared apathetic and called on my boyfriend immediately. He's a master at bidding on Ebay and barely lost a bid. The bidding would end after 5 days, and that meant for me 5 days of nervousness. The first two days I was the only bidder. The third day, another person made a bid on the hat but Ben and I immediatly outbid the person. At the last day another person stepped in and made a giant bid and we had a hard time outbidding it. However, Ben didn't respond immediately and we had to stay awake 'till 02.00 in the night if we wanted to win this hat. Ben made a skilled move by eventually outbidding the person 4 minutes before the bidding would end, and we were nervously counting down the seconds.

My heart skipped many beats when we saw the congratulations for winning it. I can tell you that I have been so nervous throughout the whole day and could barely think about something else than the hat. I do not recognize myself in this behaviour at all. Point is also that I cannot stand my loss, nor can Ben.

I had to pay a ridiculous price, and you'll all probably find me ridiculous if you heard how many this hat would cost me. I do know Ebay, love to browse through all the beautiful stuff, but I never ever bid on an item, so this was my first time. Hell, I am not sure If I can go through this again another time. But like everyone says: Ebay is very addictive. So we'll see.

This is the sculptured wool felt tilt hat from the 40s that almost gave me a nervous breakdown. But my goodness ... isn't it stunning? I cannot wait to receive it, though the seller told me it could take a while. *Pout*.

~~~~~~~~~~

The next day browsing on Etsy, my boyfriend was kind enough to buy me another hat my eye catched while browsing hats. The hat below is my second purchase. Also a hat I fell in love with immediatly.

Also an eyecatcher, no?

I am probably not the only person that goes mental on Ebay, so I am curious if you guys or gals bought something on Ebay that almost gave you a heart attack, too (price wise or with being outbid), and what that item was you wanted so badly.

Now, if the Gods are kind with me; I hope they will let these two packages arrive soon (hopefully before Christmas).

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

  1. Congratulations on your new hats. They are beautiful, beauiful & absolutely worth (almost) dying for :-)

    I have a thing with watches & actually I just bought a new old watch on Ebay. It wasn't an auction & the watch had a fixed price. I fell in love with it at first sight, but (of course) it was just a little bit expensive, so I didn't buy it for four days. I think I checked 5 or 6 times a day to see if the watch had been sold. On the fourth day it WAS sold... to me :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that had is insanely beautiful! I can see why you were so nervous and I´m sure it was worth every centyou paid for it ;).
    The only time I was really close to going mad was when I watched an auction containing several kilos of vintage sewing magazines and patterns. I didn´t want to bid (because I promised not to give in to my addiction) but in the end the Mr. bid on it and according to him I looked like I was high on drugs after winning as the only bidder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new hats. They are beautiful, beauiful & absolutely worth (almost) dying for :-)

    I have a thing with watches & actually I just bought a new old watch on Ebay. It wasn't an auction & the watch had a fixed price. I fell in love with it at first sight, but (of course) it was just a little bit expensive, so I didn't buy it for four days. I think I checked 5 or 6 times a day to see if the watch had been sold. On the fourth day it WAS sold... to me :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat een mooie hoeden!

    Af en toe koop ik vintage naaipatronen via Ebay. Meestal ga ik op zoek naar advertenties die lastig te vinden zijn, in de hoop dat ik de enige bieder ben. Dit is me al een paar keer gelukt waardoor ik echt hele goede deals heb gemaakt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course.... for my first bids on Ebay more than 10 years ago I usually woke up in the middle of the night just to be sure to win... and in order to pay less, I bidded at the last seconds... after more than hundreds of auctions won, I actually don't wake up anymore to bid... Vintage was much more affordable on Ebay 10 years ago, I remember my 2nd bid, it was about 3 a.m., that was for a late 40's winter coat... won for only $30... still my favorite coat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh em gee, that first hat is INCREDIBLE! How lucky you are to have these vintage hats. Now I am inspired to see what I can get from Ebay! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, the hats are incredible! I'd love to see pictures of you wearing them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hats are amazing and yes! I go crazy on etsy, don't like ebay so much...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images