My 1940s cookbook

December 17, 2012

This week my cookbook from 1940 has arrived. I was ecstatic to cook something from it, and last sunday Ben and I did. We decided to prepare Fricassee of chicken. I didn't really expect much of it, but my goodness it was sooo delicious!!


~~~~~~~~~
So here goes! Making the Fricassee of chicken! Carrots are boiling with a bit sugar to make the taste of the carrots stronger. When the carrots are finished, I always love to cover them with some butter.


On the picture above we have cut the chicken into pieces, dipped them in milk (the book said to dip them in Top Milk, but I have no clue what it is... if anyone can help me out?!), and after that I dipped them in flour. I also covered them with some butter and a cup of chicken broth and placed them in the oven to bake. Benjamin (my boyfriends full name, don't get confused!) and I were absolutely surprised by the taste of it. It was enormously delicious and definitly a meal I will cook for a second time.

Dish is ready for the oven. 
(I must make an apology for how I look; I am struggling with illness for quite a while now!)

Mind you, because the ovens of the 1940s were somewhat different than the modern devices we have now, don't pay much attention to the time they are giving for the meals to cook or bake. Ben and I just checked every now and then and it was definitly faster finished than the specified time given. 

It might look a bit....unappetizing, but don't let it fool you! 

For those who would love to make it aswell, below is the recipe!



You Might Also Like

8 Comments

  1. looks yummy! I need to make it. I'm so hungry now! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I wonder if "top milk" might be cream? i.e. The part that floats to the top and is skimmed off? Just a guess! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, in earlier days -- 1940 for sure -- the light dream in the milk rose to the top of the bottle. This is top milk.
    The normal idea was to shake the bottle enough to mix in the top milk, but in many cases the top milk got removed, such as for this recipe or for coffee.
    You can read about life in the 40s in Driving Woodie: Tales from the Home Front in WWII!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds delicious, I'm bookmarking this for the next time I make chicken!

    Ruby xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! I have some old cookbooks, I have to post about them!

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Top milk" is de room die bovenop verse melk komt drijven, en die eigenlijk niet verkocht wordt, Je kunt het uitstekend vervangen door ongeklopte slagroom of koffieroom, maar met melk is ook wel lekker slank natuurlijk (maar niet echt ouderwets ;) .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ik maak het nu voor de tweede keer, want de eerste is me uitstekend bevallen. Weer met uigebeende dijen trouwens voor meer smaak.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images