Rememberance day 2012

November 11, 2012

Ben and I attended Rememberance day in Apeldoorn today. Usually I remember the fallen soldiers at home, but it was a beautiful day outside, and we decided to go. It was beautiful. I was proud to see so many locals wearing their poppies with pride on their chest. The rememberance began with bagpipes and there were beautiful speeches given by the major of Apeldoorn, chaplain, and the ambassador of Canada. Also the national Anthem's of Canada, Great Britain,  and the Netherlands were played by the orchestra of the Natres (National Reserve).


“Old soldiers never die,
       Never die, never die,
       Old soldiers never die —
       They simply fade away. 

   “Now somewhere, there stands the man
       His duty o’er and won
       The world will ne’er forget him
       To him we say, “Well done.’”








Ben at the memorial statue




Me with the memorial statue behind me.

The memorial statue. The same of this one also stands in Canada. A connection between two countries.

Lest we forget.

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. To my mind, Remembrance Day is one of the most important days of the year, and it has always held a special place in my heart. In part I this comes from the fact that I had relatives who found in it (as many of do), but also because from a very young age onward I've immersed myself in WW2 history and can't fathom not keeping the memory of all those who suffered and perished during both it - and WWI - in my mind and heart for the rest of time.

    Your outfit is sophisticatedly lovely, and is similar to what I often wear on this day, too. (We have a similar, smaller ceremony here each year, too, which is held indoors at the community centre.)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous15 June, 2016

    I recently took my mother to the Tulip Festival, and we saw the Canadian copy of the statue of the man with two hats. I am very glad to have stumbled upon this page to see the one in Apeldoorn. The one here in Ottawa is located in the park where thousands of tulips, a gift from the Netherlands, are planted each year, and are very much enjoyed by Canadians.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images