Old family photos

November 27, 2012

Long time ago on this blog I wrote about my collection of old family photos - photos from my mothers side. I collect old photos in general, but I especially love family photos as I do know so little about my family from both sides and would love to know more about it. I know that some of my family members on both sides fought for Germany. I have German blood running through my vains from my fathers side and my last name's origin lays in Prussia. I never knew much from my fathers family. They lived far away and I didn't got to see them often. My grandfather died when I was at the tender age of -perhaps- three years old. My grandmother died when I was 14.

Today my father surprised me with old photos and old photos galore!.

So let's go!

Wedding photo from my grandparents Theo and Truus Cillessen, 1948

My grandmother

My grandmother.

My grandfather when he was 23 years of age. I have always asked myself from whom I got my mouth!
When I saw this photo, I instantly knew!

My grandmother.

My grand uncle Heinrich in a Waffen- SS uniform - he was a gefreiter.

My father thought that this was also Heinrich, but the man on the photo - also one of my grand uncle's - wears a Luftwaffe uniform and seems to me that it's a totally different person. There is some confusion going on and hopefully I'll have this sorted out soon. So I cannot tell you if this is Heinrich or not. One of them fought at Stalingrad, which is most likely the man on this photo as the Luftwaffe fought at Stalingrad.

Two of my great-uncle's during the mobilisation. They are both from Kekerdom.

My greatgrandmother and my grandfather.

My grandmother

My grandfather

My grandparents.

My grandmother at her commune.


Hope you liked them! More soon!

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

  1. Such a little treasure trove of family memories, thank you for sharing these! I am planning on digging through the family photos over the Christmas holidays and will post some pics of my own family in the New Year. I saw a pic recently of a great grandmother I hadn't seen before and she was very scary, so I am not sure what I will find!!

    Porcelina xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was searching through the old photo's I saw a photo of my grandmother after a cerebral hemorrhage, so that was quite a big shock. She died a year later, when I was 14. I did not remember that look of her when she had that hemorrhage, but it came when I saw that photo. Luckily the rest of them were very cheery.

      Looking very forward to yours!

      Delete
  2. Something very special about old photographs, thank you for sharing your personal pictures :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is indeed something special about old photographs. If I find photo's from strangers I always wonder who they were and what kind of life they have led!

      Delete
  3. Wat bijzonder om zoveel mooie foto's te hebben van je familie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zeker weten Sophie! Ik had er ook geen idee van, dat er nog zoveel waren! Ik wil er nog veel meer! Zeker omdat ik mijn familie van vaderskant haast niet ken!

      Delete
  4. Ik ben ook verzot op oude familiefoto's. Altijd leuk om dingen te ontdekken van hen en natuurlijk de hele stijl. Ik vind dat je de familie gelijkenis wel kan zien bij jou. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your smile looks exactly like your grandmothers in the photo of their wedding! Great photos, they're nice to have.

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images