My style icon.

November 16, 2012

This is a question that I get alot in interviews: "Who is your style icon?"
When I started to get an interest in bygone era's, it was always Marilyn Monroe who inspired me. When on the street, people compare me to Marilyn alot. It's not uncommon that I atleast hear it twice a day. Sometimes it even irritates me, even though it is ofcourse a dashing compliment.

But then, the fifties were not for me anymore up to a level that I really don't like the fashion, interiors, hairdo's, whatsoever. I always think it looks great on others, but it doesn't push my buttons - anymore. Marilyn still inspires me alot, but it is Ginger Rogers who took her place. Long time ago a friend of me said I reminded him of Ginger Rogers in the movie 'Swing Time'. I was quite curious if it was true and watched the movie. I didn't saw the comparison myself (except for our blonde curly hair and having the same height), but I was deeply flattered. Eversince I saw her in the first movie I ever watched from her, I thought of her as one of the most beautiful women that has ever walked the earth. She even looked good in her older years. I have some sort of girl crush on Ginger in the least creepiest way.

Ginger is an amazing actress who can act drama and comedy. A combination that is difficult and not for everyone. Her movie 'Bachelor Mother (1939)' always cheers me up in darker times. It's one of my favorite movies in general. In her career, Virginia Katherine McMath (Her real name) made a total of 73 movies over 40 years. She only made 10 with Fred Astaire. But it were the movies with Fred that made her famous. And as the saying went: "Sure Fred was great, but don't forget Ginger Rogers did everything he did, but with high heels and backwards."

Ginger Rogers breathes elegance, sophistication and above all she is a marvelous dancer. Her hair always looks impeccable, and her favorite hairdo was the pageboy . Unfortunatly a hairdo where I cannot get the hang of it.




Ginger with her favorite hair style. She explained that it was her favorite hairdo because 'it wasn't so difficult'.

Ginger with Katharine Hepburn in the movie 'Stage door, 1937'

I absolutely LOVE this dress.




With Fred Astaire.


Who is your style icon?

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

  1. I just found your blog, randomly, and I love it! You are such a classy lady :)
    Ginger Rogers was adorable, that hairstyle is flawless. I also dig Lauren Bacall's sense of style in the 40's, she and Bogie were outstanding in every level.

    www.nancywilde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely compliment!

      Delete
  2. Haha - the Marilyn comments...I get them too. I was dressed full on 30s last night with tight to the skull fingerwaves and still got it. I think its the red lipstick / blonde hair combo. Still, as you say, its flattering.

    Ginger was stunning and yes, that perfect pageboy. Sigh. She is up there with Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck for me. Three classy ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the Marilyn thing today, again, by a homeless guy. I didn't had the energy after a long train travel to explain that I am not breathing the fifties. So I just said thank you!

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog as well, today in fact. I love Ginger, especially her and Fred I adore a couple who can move like they did together, and who had that spark together. My favorite movie of Ginger's without Mr. Astaire would be the Major and the Minor it was just too cute. My own personal style icon would be Rita Hayworth. I love her grace, her style, and her strength. The fact that she is half hispanic is also pretty cool in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the Major and the minor, too! I enjoyed it thoroughly!

      Delete
  4. My style icon is Louise Brooks. I think you look a lot like Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot Brooksie, that just made my day!

      Delete
  5. She really is gorgeous, and may we all age so well! Especially that picture where she's wearing the heart applique - she really looks so gorgeous. I'm not sure who my style icon is, but you've inspired me to think about it! Ava Gardner might be it - I dressed up as her for Halloween in high school just because I always thought she was so gorgeous and glamorous.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

My Flickr Images